Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #1 
baylee767

Red face Neon... Im so worried

I've been in Europe for two weeks and I fly back home thursday. The whole time I've been thinking about nothing but Neon.

We hired a pet sitter (Don't worry wasn't going to count on some "vacation feeding block" or something) but she doesn't do water changes. I have a strong feeling Neons tank isn't cycled because after one week of not doing water changes the ammonia was at .15-.25 and everything else is at 0. Now lately I've been panicking over the thought of a nitrite spike killing him or something.

I also had a dream I came home and the pet sitter had fed Neon 20 pellets a day because he looked so hungry and added 4 comet goldfish because he looked lonely... yeah, she's a professional pet sitter with a saltwater tank, but I'm nervous all the same .
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #2 
kathstew

I am sure he is just fine, especially if she is a professional. Could you phone her and ask her how Neon is doing, to ease your worry?

Try not to worry and just enjoy your trip! Europe is an amazing place to visit, so you should enjoy it while you still have the few days of the trip left!!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #3 
baylee767

Yeah, for some odd reason I keep imagining she's "incapable" of taking care of Bettas. It's so odd, especially since this is what she does for a living.

*Side note... completely unrelated. In England the other day we went into a pet store, they only had one Betta. A Veiltail... but, he was in a fluval chi with pristine water and no signs of disease (=

Anyways (lol) She says everything is doing okay. I can't wait to see Neon again.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #4 
baylee767

Going on 17 hours of flights tomorrow and I can't wait to see Neon.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #5 
doggyhog

I'm sure he's fine. :)

I had to leave my bettas with my Brother in law for 2 weeks and he didn't do all that I had asked, but they were just fine!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #6 
kathstew

Its funny how we always think the worst of people, especially when it involves something important to us. The line "If you want it done right, do it yourself" isn't always true, but we seem to think it is. XD When my mom got her fish, I was worried she would do something wrong, feeding him too much, cleaning his tank with soap, not conditioning the water properly. But shes great with it! Her fish loves her, and always follows her through the glass. XD

Give us an update, and tell us how Neon is!

I'm glad that the store in england took good care of their betta!
Did you go to London England? I went to England a few years ago, and my favourite part of the trip was the London eye. Amazing!!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #7 
Corpse

If she's a professional animal sitter then you shouldn't be so worried about her overfeeding Neon and adding more fish to the tank. A truly professional animal sitter won't let anything bad happen to the animal.
Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #8 
carzz

this is what she does as a living, but she doesn't preform water changes? .....O.o?
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 AM   #9 
baylee767

UGHHHHH. Just got home about an hour ago, and when I looked at the tank I couldn't see Neon. Just shades of breen and grown. Yep, you guessed it, algae bloom.

I quickly performed a 75% water change and roughly scraped it off the front so I could check Neons condition. WELL, there was hair algae, diatoms, your regular everyday old green algae, and this wierd spotty green kind. I'm telling you, it's a nightmare. There is so much stuff that I'm going to have to completely drain and clean this tank. It's so dissapointing )= I have a feeling my light timer didn't work....

On to Neon. His tail looks less chewed up then usual and he doesn't look thin or bloated, but he is lethargic. After the big water change he seems to have perked up... Even with such a big water change, thet water (not glass) has the slightest greenish tinge to it. This algae was very messy, with lots of odd bumps and even a sligh fuzzy look. I'm a bit worried now that when I was trying to cycle the tank introduced some mold or something, because I doubt there are any white fuzzy algaes.

I don't have a camera on me, but do you think all these algaes going over everything and filling the water can harm Neon? )=>
Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #10 
baylee767

On another note, I just realized I put the wrong "smiley" next to the title of this thread *facepalm*