Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #1 
kathstew

Question about sorority?

I'm just curious. Has anyone ever had a divided tank for females, then took the divider out to see what happens?

Sorry if that sounds weird. Let me try to explain....
I have a 5.5 gallon tank that is divided, one girl on each side. If I took the divider out, what would happen? (Please note, I would NEVER do this) I am more asking to see if anyone else has thought about this before. My girls have been able to see each other through the divider for weeks now. If I was to put them in a sorority together, with other girls, do you think that my two girls would get along better? Just because they've been able to see each other through the divider, yet unable to reach other. They've become used to each other.
Just curious on this.
Because if this had positive results, of having females divided before introducing them into a sorority, it could make sororitys much easier to introduce. Do you know what I mean? (Sorry if I sound a little nuts, the pain in my hip is starting to go to my head!) If I wanted to make a sorority and this held true (above) I could get four girls divide them for a few weeks (but still allowing them to see each other) and THEN introduce them into the big tank.
I do understand that the females create a chain-of-commands, so I'm thinking that could be contradicting my idea? I dunno. Just curious of others opinions on this.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #2 
turtle10

I don't think it would make too much of a difference, but you need at least five females. Also, if you just liften up the divider they would probably be aggressive towards each other because they are protecting their sides. When you introduce sorority bettas, everything in the tank is new and no one has made territories.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #3 
CrowntailxKing

I introduced all 5 girls together in the 10 gallon tank at the same time. Only two of the girls had seen each other before, as they were in a divided tank with a boy between them so they were fighting for attention. Ironically, they were the ones that fought the most...and fought each other at that.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #4 
kathstew

Thanks for the replies guys!

Turtle - I never even thought about them wanting to protect their sides. Thanks for pointing that out.

Crowntail - When you introduce all of them into the tank, do you just put them all in as fast as you can? Its kinda a stupid question, but I want to start a sorority one day, and I worry that I won't add the girls in fast enough, and some will choose territories before I can add them all in.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #5 
CrowntailxKing

I just added them in one at a time. As long as you add them all in about 10 min then they wont have enough time to go look for their "own" territory. Right now, all of mine are huddled together as if they were a school of fish hahaha
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #6 
scootshoot

Have 6 females in a 14. First 4 was introduced first week. 5th, a red one 2nd or 3rd week, and my last one 2.5 to 3 months later. Have had no issues, they getting along awesome, have more problems with my platy's in the community tank, haha.

Am really loving the red one (very hard to get a pic of as she constantly moves). She looked sick, coloring a bit drab on purchase but took a chance to rescue her. First week or two she was the shyest female, always hid in back, rarely came out for food. Now she has grown to be the biggest female in the tank. If I had to guess she is probably my alpha but she is one calm confident Queen who bothers nobody and no one bothers her. Based on the condition she was in the cup, I wager another week or two at the store she would have perished.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote