Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #1 
UhohCheerio

Best method for transferring bowls?

My new betta lives in a 1.5 gal bowl (I know - not ideal - but its what I have and I'm taking good care of him!). The water needs to be changed regularly but I keep reading how you shouldn't use a net to transfer bettas because of fin damage. If not a net, then what? I used a plastic cup the past few water changes but that seems kinda traumatic too.

Thanks for you any suggestions!
UhohCheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #2 
kfish

If you're careful with the net, it should be fine. I never have had any issues! Just don't pin him in a corner with it so you don't scrape him or anything. You have to be very gentle. It also helps if you soak the net in treated water for five minutes beforehand to soften it up.

A cup is good because it kind of sucks them up into it and there's less risk of scraping them with it. It's definitely more gentle than a net. Your fish is going to be really scared and traumatized until he gets used to the routine. But it's better than being in gross water!

Some people can use their hands and bettas will swim into your hand as they get used to you (I was so happy when mine did the first time!)... but I'd be careful because he can wriggle out and fall on the floor or whatever. You'd have to place him straight into a cup.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #3 
UhohCheerio

Seriously? That seems like it would be even more traumatic than the cup, which at least keeps him in the water at all times.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #4 
UhohCheerio

Kfish, thank you! That makes a lot of sense. This routine is new for both of us, so I guess we both need to get accustomed to it! I just want to keep the trauma to the minimum.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #5 
kfish

Mr. Fish got so used to it that he swims into a cup on his own. XD He LOVES being dumped from the cup into a tank, haha.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #6 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlakatFighter View Post
Oh come on...... just use your hand, how hard is that?
That is a very silly suggestion.

OP, Using a small cup and just scooping him into it when he gets near the surface is fine. :D Less stressful than a net or 'using your hand' :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #7 
roadrunner

+1 for a cup. Works perfect for me.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote