Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #1 
Deadpool

New Betta tank

Hello there. I have recently started keeping betta fish and have my red veiltailed betta Deadpool in a Marineland 5 gallon crescent tank.

I might be curious to upgrading to a six or ten gallon tank, or possibly getting a ten gallon tank and dividing it between him and a half moon male. As I quite like Half moon betta fish, but I don't want to have two different tanks really.

What should I do?
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

You could get an economy 10gal ($30 at Walmart) and divide it in 2 or 3 sections using craft mesh.
Trust me, you'll end up with more bettas soon... they are addictive!
I really like your tank.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

Very nice! I like it.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #4 
Deadpool

thank you! :) the only thing i really dont like about the tank that I have is there's big open holes in the top of the lid from the kit filter. and actually I'd been contemplating a certain ten gallon kit at petco for about 70 bucks that comes with the lighting and hood, and it's own stand.

would my veiltail do well in a ten gallon by himself? how about snails? or other tankmates?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

He'd probably LOVE the space. After it cycles, you could add some tank mates. Neon tetras would be good choices. Or some snails and shrimp. I'm sure other people will have more suggestions, but those are mine.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #6 
Deadpool

I really wanted to add some ghost shrimp, but everyone told me that would be a bad idea because he would probably eat them :(

How about plant recommendations? I had been using plastic plants, but then i switched to two or three silk plants because the other ones i believe ripped his fins. moss balls?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #7 
mabarcomb

When I had 20 gal and 15 gal tanks (way back), I had angels, neon gobies, cat fish, apple snails, fancy gold fish, a blue crawfish and one of the mini turtles (he eventually got to big and got his own tank) Each of my tanks had either a male beta or a serority of a few females.
Of course the males with 'active' nests had seprate housing :)
I really did enjoy sitting and watching the interactions of the varoius species in the same tank. Better than watching TV ;)
Fish tanks really are addicting. I have a 1 gal for my betta in my office at work, and a 12 gal saltwater tank at home :)
I would love to be able to get big tanks again!

Sounds like you on your way to a sweet collection! :o)
mabarcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #8 
Deadpool

I honestly don't really know about all the stuff I can put in one tank, or going bigger than a ten. even a ten is kind of pushing it for me, I don't have a lot of room
Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

I wouldn't put more than a few shrimp, 1-2 snails (they poop a LOT), and maybe 5 neon tetras with your Betta in the ten gallon. That's about as much bioload as a tank that size can handle.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #10 
Deadpool

Won't they fight with the tetras?