Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 
lalalaura

A very eventful couple of days!

So last week I decided to go out and buy a 5.5 gal tank and divide it for my two bettas, a veiltail named Sushi and a crown tail named Mauve.

After making the divider myself and careful inspection of my fish before putting them where they would share the same water, I noticed Sushi had some fuzz all over him. I put Mauve in the divided tank and left the other side empty.

I think he has Columnaris so yesterday I bought some Bettafix (I know it's not good for them, but only thing I could afford) and he's already starting to look better! Today is the second day and I couldn't be happier. His colour is more vibrant and the fuzz is almost gone.

I decided today that Sushi has been through enough stress so I am going to leave him in his own 1.5 gal tank (and I finally found the 7.5W heater!!) He seems pretty happy and has a good appetite. He lives on the kitchen counter and gets really excited and curious when people are around.

So this afternoon I went to the Petstmart thinking I need something to fill the other side of the tank (haha..). I didn't see any Betta's there that really caught my attention so I went to Big Al's and evetually found the perfect Betta! He's a half moon and all black except for some blue/silver on his body and blue marks on his fins when he opens them up.
Good thing my boyfriend is patient, it took me about 30 minute to choose which one I wanted. There were about 15 half moons, some with HUGE fins. I've never seen them in a store before so I was really excited .

I just wanted to share all that :) I am quite happy right now! I tried taking pictures but I'm going to take some tomorrow when there is natural light.

Now I have a few questions. The new guy is in the other side of the divided tank. He hasn't flared at Mauve much but Mauve is going crazy!! Flaring like crazy. Will he eventually settle down? I'm a little worried, I don't want to have to scrap this divided tank after all the work I've put into it. How long should I wait?

How often do you guys think I should change the water with two bettas in 5.5 gallons? Also, I don't have a filter so would it be better to put a filter in the tank? I'm not planning on cycling it with the fish in there! I should have done so before but I thought it'd be near impossible with a 5.5 gal. I'm currently saving up to buy a water testing kit to test the ammonia and stuff but in the meantime I need some people with experience to answer this!

I'm going to post more on here as I get more experienced with my fish :) People are much nicer on here and I LOVE that it is geared totally towards Bettas!!
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #2 
Ariel1719

Sounds so exciting :D Yea the betta world is highly addictive. I went from 0 after Bacardi died, to 4 in just 2 months... 3 in the past 2 weeks! Can't wait to see pics of your new guy! I dont personally have a divided tank but I have read that if you plant a lot of plants near the divider it makes it harder for the bettas to see each other, resulting in less stress. Also I think having a filter makes caring for betta's generally more easy. You could find filters basically anywhere to safely filter a 5.5 gal. Un filtered I think maybe two 25% water changes a week and one 75%? I dont really know.. But WITH a filter, two 25% and one 50% a week for sure.

Last edited by Ariel1719; 03-30-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #3 
lalalaura

Here's pictures of them.
I'm new to posting pics on here so I apologize if they are big or I do something wrong :P.
The first one is Sushi, my oldest one who I've had for like a year and a half now.
The second one is Mauve, I bought him at Petsmart last week. I fell in love with him the minute I saw him. His eyes are so black.
And the last one is Vader. I might change his name, he actually reminds me of Toothless the dragon from How to Train Your Dragon .
Attached Images

lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

They're gorgeous! I especially love your HM! He looks like a Toothless to me! XD They're addicting little fisheis.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #5 
Abby

so. darn. pretty. ill take the black bloke when ur sick of looking at him. and mauve to heck u can send all three to me :)

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-08-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #6 
Pekemom

I like them all, too, but the black one is my absolute fav!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #7 
kathstew

They are all gorgeous!
I LOVE the black guy. I think Toothless would be a great name for him!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote