Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #1 
kirby13580

Exclamation Uh-Oh.

I got a betta for my birthday yesturday (Everyone knows bettas are MY favorite present ) and it was fine, swimming around, the next day (today) it was on the bottom! I gave it food and it did not eat! It only came up for air! IM SAD!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #2 
kirby13580

Housing
What size is your tank? I don't Really Know, but it's small!
What temperature is your tank? 62 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Bloodworms, Aqua Culture Betta Pellet Food, He did not eat anything yet.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 bloodworms/pellet per day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?All of it.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium Soulutions ULTIMATE water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: I did not test it yet.
Nitrite:I did not test it yet.
Nitrate:I did not test it yet.
pH:I did not test it yet.
Hardness:I did not test it yet.
Alkalinity: I did not test it yet.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not at all.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It is not moving as often, not eating.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? March 23, 2011 US (Today)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Changing the water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No...
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 inches in length, i dont actually know, but maybe length would help?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

He may be cold....get your temp up to at least 76F....you may need to get a heater if that is the warmest you can get the temp and find out what size in gallons your tank is so we can help you out better.....

Don't change the water temp to fast...this needs to be done over several hours so you don't shock his already compromised system...hold food for a couple of days and once he adjust and gets a stable water temp he should start eating for you......

Happy Birthday and look forward to some pic of your new Betta....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #4 
kirby13580

Ill try to get a heater!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #5 
turtle10

Bloodworms should only be fed as a treat, not as a staple diet. Also in a very small tank water should be changed every other day.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #6 
CrowntailxKing

Also, if you can, try to get a 2.5 gallon tank if the one you have right now is really small. Betta can live in small areas, but the common belief is that they PREFER small areas (which is false). As I heard before in another thread, there is a difference between surviving and thriving. If possible, get a heat that lets you set the temperature rather than a non-adjustable heater that only heats the tank 5-10 degrees F higher than room temperature. I have one of those for my 2.5 gallon tank, but that's because my room is warmer than 62 degrees F.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #7 
roadrunner

I also think he is cold, 62 seems way too low. If you could keep him in the room with more stable temperature 72F or more, that should help. Since he is fairly new, it's ok if he does not eat for few days. He needs to adjust to new environment and to you. When I buy bettas, I always ask in the store what they feed them, so I'll give them something what they are used to in the beggining. Later you may experiment more with food. Do not feed him freeze dried blood worms every day. Use them as a treat only.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
I also think he is cold, 62 seems way too low. If you could keep him in the room with more stable temperature 72F or more, that should help. Since he is fairly new, it's ok if he does not eat for few days. He needs to adjust to new environment and to you. When I buy bettas, I always ask in the store what they feed them, so I'll give them something what they are used to in the beggining. Later you may experiment more with food. Do not feed him freeze dried blood worms every day. Use them as a treat only.
It should actually be at least 76, 72 is still too cold :)
Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #9 
roadrunner

I've had my bettas living for years pretty happy with stable 72 and smaller tank. My oldest betta was 5 years old when he passed away. I had couple of bettas in heated, filtered 20G tank living only for few months. To me it looked like they were more stressed out in larger spaces, but that's only my own experience.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
I've had my bettas living for years pretty happy with stable 72 and smaller tank. My oldest betta was 5 years old when he passed away. I had couple of bettas in heated, filtered 20G tank living only for few months. To me it looked like they were more stressed out in larger spaces, but that's only my own experience.
They may have lived in temperatures that cold but I would not recommend that temperature. It is too cold for tropical fish and I don't agree that they should be kept that cold. The recommended temperatures for a betta are 76-82 degrees.

It really depends on the betta, because for me it is actually the other way around. My bettas get very stressed in small spaces, they start to tailbite. I can't keep them in anything smaller than 4 gallons.