Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #1 
iivo

really swollen. i'm out of ideas

Hello,
I have betta that is really swollen for about 2-3 months now. it just happened very fast. initially i thought it was dropsy (i read that it could manifest as a severe swallowing, without the "pine-cone" effect), but the fish is acceptably lively, it eats every day, is active, can swim in all the areas of the tank with no problems, and survived for 3 months. with dropsy i doubt that would have happened.

when i say severe swallowing i mean that if i look at it face-to-face, its sides are about half it's head on either side and below. i believe the body volume has at least doubled.

Info:
Housing
What size is your tank? - 60L
What temperature is your tank? 27 Celsius
Does your tank have a filter? internal filter for 60L+
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? all water exiting the filter goes in the air before returning to the water, so it's aerated
Is your tank heated? heated
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 razbora, 1 ancistrus, 3 cory, 2 CAE and pomaceea snails.

Food - some betta pellets (can't remember name... Dr..something...)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - 1 week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ~40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? no additives. water parameters are ok

Water Parameters: I don't have the numbers now, but last time i checked they where all in the "normal" range

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - swollen
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not much. a bit more slow than regular, but not very noticeable. eats every morning
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2-3 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no food for about 2 days; about 2 days only on small peaces of pea (defrosted and heated)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nothing before this
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~1 year

I really don't know what to do.
any ideas would be welcomed.
Not tried epsom salt - didn't find any. will look more.

Thank you.
iivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #2 
peaceablegarden

I found these. Don't know if they will help but maybe they might give you some ideas...

http://nippyfish.net/2007/02/23/bett...ollen-abdomen/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1075108AAySKLy

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...len-belly.html
peaceablegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #3 
iivo

thanks, i read most of them before posting here. mine looks like the one in link1, but more swelled. i will try a more severe fasting. 48 hours no food, then only a bit of pea, and maybe a pellet in the afternoon for 3-4 for days. as i read that bettas can go one week without food, this should not cause him *much* discomfort. if this doesn't work.... i'll just try to keep him as comfortable as possible and wait...

any way, if you have other ideas, I'm still open for discussions.
thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #4 
iheartmybettas

I would definitely start with fasting. It is hard when they are wiggling around begging for food but hopefully it will ultimately fix the issue. If not definitely try to locate epsom salt. It is usual in the pharmaceutical section.

I just want to throw this out there but I have read very negative things about CAEs. As in they are actually carnivorous and will one day try to suck the slime coat off of your slow moving fish (i.e. your betta). Plus they grow up to 11 inches each and can be aggressive!! I believe your tank is 15 gallons so this is going to be way too small.

Also I feel that additives are always necessary because of the benefits they have such as helping the fishies slime coat. I even have RO water but still use dechlorinator as I feel I cannot take chances. Just my opinion though.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iivo View Post
Hello,
I have betta that is really swollen for about 2-3 months now. it just happened very fast. initially i thought it was dropsy (i read that it could manifest as a severe swallowing, without the "pine-cone" effect), but the fish is acceptably lively, it eats every day, is active, can swim in all the areas of the tank with no problems, and survived for 3 months. with dropsy i doubt that would have happened.

when i say severe swallowing i mean that if i look at it face-to-face, its sides are about half it's head on either side and below. i believe the body volume has at least doubled.
He could be bloated

Info:
Housing
What size is your tank? - 60L
This is about 15 gallons, correct?
What temperature is your tank? 27 Celsius
Does your tank have a filter? internal filter for 60L+
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? all water exiting the filter goes in the air before returning to the water, so it's aerated
Is your tank heated? heated
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 razbora, 1 ancistrus, 3 cory, 2 CAE and pomaceea snails.
Bettas should never be kept with Chinese Algae Eaters. CAEs have been known to suck the slime coat off bettas. They also get very large and are not suitable for your tank size.

Food - some betta pellets (can't remember name... Dr..something...)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - 1 week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ~40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? no additives. water parameters are ok
You should always add water conditioner.

Water Parameters: I don't have the numbers now, but last time i checked they where all in the "normal" range
Ammonia should be at 0
NitrIte should be at 0
NitrAte should be below 20ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - swollen
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not much. a bit more slow than regular, but not very noticeable. eats every morning
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2-3 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no food for about 2 days; about 2 days only on small peaces of pea (defrosted and heated)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nothing before this
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~1 year

I really don't know what to do.
any ideas would be welcomed.
Not tried epsom salt - didn't find any. will look more.

Thank you.
Epsom salt can be found at any grocery store or pharmacy.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #6 
roadrunner

I think you should try to quarantine your betta first for easier treatment. Put him in smaller container, with heater and filter would be the best. Definitely start fasting your fish for now and if it gets better, maybe you should consider different type of food. I know you feel for your friend, but trust me, feeding him more is not making his situation any better. If it last too long, it can lead to SBD (swim bladder disorder). Clean water and right temperature are always the keys. Use salt with caution, longterm use is not good for them + make sure you always dissolve all salt crystals before adding the water (direct contact with salt crystals can cause burns). When I had problems with bloated bettas, I have always put them in slightly warmer water (2-3 degrees) and it seemed to help them poop. You could try that, just make sure you slowly introduce warmer water to the tank, don't just dump the fish in there. Poor thing is probably stressed already.
I hope that helps.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #7 
turtle10

Some people say peas are actually harmful to bettas, so instead of using peas you should use daphnia. They should help your betta's tummy.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:12 AM   #8 
iivo

thanks for all the help. will try and hope :)