Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #1 
Pekemom

Aversion to the Light?

Last night, I was concerned because Brooke was not her usual active self. Typically, she's swimming around her 5 gal Fluval Chi tank, having a great time. I found her in her hidey hole, under her bridge, in a darkened corner of the tank.

The light is quite strong in her tank, so I shut it off to see if that would make a difference. Sure enough, in a few minutes, she swam right out, front and center.

Tonight, I tested out the theory. Once again, when the light was on, she was hanging out under the bridge in the dark. Shutting off the light brought her right out, doing her usual laps and swimming right up to my face, begging for an extra nighttime treat.

The tank light is apparently too strong for her to be comfortable. Have any of you had the same experience? The light illuminates her tank beautifully - but apparently, I won't be using it much in the future! !
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

That stinks :c Is the light not removeable? Maybe switch out the bulb? Maybe get a blue or black colored light... ;D That'd look nice!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:01 AM   #3 
Harley

I've had a problem with my Betta Harley getting a bit weird when the lights been on. He especially was ramming the sides of the tank when he saw the glare off the glass (reflection). My tank has 2 bulbs in it so if you have the same you may want to try taking one bulb out. I've decided at least for now to stop using the light and just rely on indirect light from mother nature. Like PewPewPew mentioned, trying a colored light might be worth a try too.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #4 
JackisLost

Are you giving your betta enough time to see you before you turn off the light and he dances in front for you?
My LED light is pretty bright for my little tank but it doesn't phase him.

I am using the marina double bright led light fixture in my 5 gallon. Are you using the fluval chi standard lighting in the kit? The fluval is taller than my tank and I think the lighting is dimmer. Maybe my betta is more blind than yours, lol

Last edited by JackisLost; 03-30-2011 at 05:57 AM.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #5 
shadowsbiker

If the tank light is on but the room light is off she may be seeing her reflection and getting scared. My boy sees his reflection in that situation and swims around flaring at the "other" fish.
shadowsbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #6 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsbiker View Post
If the tank light is on but the room light is off she may be seeing her reflection and getting scared. My boy sees his reflection in that situation and swims around flaring at the "other" fish.
Yes, Diablo does this too. In the evening when it's dark outside of his tank and his light is on he goes crazy because he can see his reflection and won't stop flaring. When I first got him he seemed to be startled by the light- although he seems to have adjusted to it fine now. Is your little girl new, or the tank new? Maybe she just needs some time :)
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #7 
Pekemom

Wow - what great observations!! I'm thinking of examining the light (which is on the bottom of the filter on my tank) to take out a few bulbs, turn them off. Also, maybe it is her reflection that's making her uncomfortable - turning on an overhead light near the tank to minimize her reflection, would be worth a try, too. Thanks for the insightful suggestions!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #8 
TheKzv

I've been observing my boy and every time I turn on the LED lights he becomes
lethargic.
TheKzv is offline   Reply With Quote