Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #1 
jessiepbg

Cycling a 30 Gallon

I'm starting a 30 gallon tank using pure ammonia(no fishies yet) and I think I overdid it a bit. It's been up and running since the Saturday before last (3/19). I accidentally dumped too much ammonia in and my water has been over 8ppm since I first tested it last Tuesday(3/22). Should I do a partial water change to bring it down to the 3-5 ppm that the nitrogen cycle sticky suggests or just let it run its course? I let the filter cartridge sit in my cycled 10 gallon next to the filter for 2 weeks before I set the tank up, but had to turn the filter off in the 30 gallon for about 2 days to let the sand settle after adding it. I was worried all the loose sand would damage the filter, so while the cartridge stayed damp throughout the process, it did get cold and it had no water running through it, so I may or may not have killed anything that was in there. I added a pantyhose with a handful of gravel from the established tank after I turned the filter back on last Monday(3/21), so there should be at least something alive in there now. The tank is heated, somewhere between 76 and 80. I don't have a thermometer in there yet, but I'm familiar with the heater.

Am I missing anything important? Should I let it be or do a partial water change?
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #2 
trono

From what I understand about cycling a tank with no fish, there doesn't need to be any water changes. I believe the high ammonia levels will help the bio filter cycle faster.

Then again, I'm no expert on fishless tank cycling.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #3 
JackisLost

Every couple of hours or so the good bacteria dies when the filter is off. I read somewhere that depending in filter size/type, you can start to loose your cycle at 8 hours. After the 8 hours the water can turn bad in the shut off filter. Bacteria needs oxygen, after they used up the oxygen in the filter that has been shut off, they die.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #4 
trono

This seems like a good site for info about tank cycling

http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
trono is offline   Reply With Quote