Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #1 
magoo

Unhappy Help... my little guy is sick !!

Hi All,
Our little guy, Flounder is not doing well. He is just laying on the bottom, not moving much, and shows a little sign of distress. He has good color, no scrapes or spots or ther damage. When we bought him about 7 months ago we felt bad to keep him in a small bowl. We bought a 7 gallon aquarium complete with filter, heater, plants and soil for the bottom. The brand is Fluval. Over the course of the last six months some of the plants have died and been removed. I change 1 gallon of water ever week and use betta basics in the proper dosage. I let the water rest for 24 hrs before I take out a gallon and introduce a new gallon.I have tried betta fix again at the proper dosage. He really looks so sad, with his dorsal fin just draped over him.This has been going on for about two weeks now.Should I put him back in his little bowl and dump everything out of the 7 gal. Would this shock the little guy too much.... Help !!
Regards, Steve
magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.....

What is the water temp?

Can you post a pic?

I would start making 50% water only changes for a couple of days and see if that will perk him up....make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water to prevent temp shock issues and use dechlorinater with any fresh water added..

You say soil...do you mean dirt???

How is his appetite?

What kind of plants?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #3 
magoo

Hi Oldfishlady,
Thanks for your quick reply. The water temp is set @78 degrees. The soil is a type that the aquarium store sold that is specific for aquarium plants etc. He isn`t getting to the top where I feed him. Blood worms (only two tiny ones per day, and Betta pellets(again only two). He isn`t getting to the top to eat.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #4 
roadrunner

I was wondering if you have ADA type of soil. Do you still have any plants? If not, you may want to switch the soil, because it is designed for live plants.
I don't think 1G water change a week is enough. As oldfishlady mentioned, you may want to get water conditioner and add water that is close temperature to water in the tank.
Also feeding freeze dried blood worms every day is not a good idea. Get some pellets or try flake food. I've been recommending Hikari micro wafers to everybody (it has been recommended to me more than a year ago and I can not be more happy with that). Pellets are all same size and small enough for betta to eat and digest.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

I can imagine your worry. My little guy was a bit down and inactive. What made the difference was changing his food; now I'm doing pellets twice a day instead of flakes, frozen bloodworms once a week and fasting one day a week. Are you giving frozen worms or freeze dried? There is a definite quality difference.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #6 
magoo

Hi Roadrunner,
Thank you for your help as well. I will do a 1/3 water change today. I do use a conditioner and let it sit for 24 hrs. We have well water at the house here in CT ,so no chlorine to deal with. I am using pellets to feed as well, but my little guy doesn`t seem to go to the surface much to feed. i leave his tank light on 8 hrs a day. Would it help to leave him without the light for a few days ?? He doesn`t show any signs of scrapes, has a nice blue color, but is just not swimming much. He is not getting to the top at all.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #7 
magoo

Hi Canuck Fins,
Thank you for helping also. I`m using freeze dried bloomworms, and mixing in a few pellets. I`ll try some of the flakes as well. Sould I try some aquaruim salts?
Regards
Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I have well water too and don't need any dechlorinator....so glad...lol....

Keep changing that water and as posted if it is ADA soil and you don't have enough plants in the tank the Betta may be having some water quality issues especial with the low volume water changes....often some back to back large water changes will help perk them up...if he is having problems swimming to the top-you may want to lower the water level and turning off the light will be fine too for a day or so......also hold food for a day or so....

Does he look bloated or having any buoyancy problems....

If the back to back daily 50% water changes don't help-he may need a salt treatment for 10 days while in QT
Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #9 
magoo

Hi Oldfishlady,
Thanks again for your help. No he isn`t bloated, and doesn`t have any buoyancy problems, not randomly going to the top. How much aquarium salt should I put in the seven gallon tank ? Would having the light off help ,as in with people resting in a dark room ,or am I anthropomorphising too much here.
Regards
Old 04-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Turning off the light will be fine for a day or so.....

I would not use salt in the main tank, if you feel that he needs salt treatment I would QT him in a small container that can be floated in the main tank to maintain water temp...pre-mix your salt 1tsp/gal in a 1gal jug of well water and use this for 100% daily water changes for the next 10 days, however, I would try increase in water changes first and see if that won't perk him up....