Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Ugh, great. Just great.

Dumbo has started tail biting as of yesterday morning. His fin now makes an odd dip and the ends are kind of ragged. I'd take pics, but my camera isn't here, it's packed away because I'm going camping this weekend and I'll be gone until sunday. So today I did a thorough 100%, because I won't be able to do them while I'm gone, or partials. I think he may also have fin rot now, there are black edges around half of the tear. Greeeat. I will be treating with extra clean water as soon as I'm back, and a few drops of bettafix here and there.
On a higher note, Bertie also had a 100% water change and is now swimming around happily. He never acclimates this quickly! Usually he's grouchy and clamped for a few minutes, even though I float him for 20 minutes and let the new water come into the cup.
Also, Butterfly is back in my room and 100% back in my possession. My brother didn't even remember to feed him after he went without food for 4 days. So, I cleaned out the ole 1.5 gallon and he is now in there with nothing else except a silk plant. At least it's bigger than his old vase (which cracked and cut my leg yesterday). Luna got a 90% water change this morning as well, so everyone has extra clean tanks for when I leave tomorrow morning. But ugh, Dumbo! Why do you have to bite your tail and get fin rot now! grrrrr...
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #2 
gmd1800

My male is also a tailbiter. He now looks more like a CT than a HM. Fabulous, eh?

How long are you going to be gone? It might help to treat him with AQ salt (1 teaspoon for every gallon, I believe) before you leave. When you come back you can do a 100% change.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

I will be gone until sunday, grrr! I Sadly do not have any AQ salt, thats why I have to use the bettafix. ;/ I am on my cell phone right now, sorry for typos! I am already on the road. My mom will be taking care of him for me, I`ll make sure he is fed well and his water is clean. I`m sorry about ur HM!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #4 
tokala

Oooohhhhhh dear :( horrible timing too! I second the salt treatment before you go. It will make the environment unfriendly for bacteria and hopefully prevent the finrot from getting worse. Either way, good luck and have fun camping!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #5 
gmd1800

Can your mom do the salt treatment for you? You could text her the instructions.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

He will be fine until that time, Id say. Stop using the betta fix, really, its just not great stuff...

If he's tailbiting, ask your mum to put interesting things around the tank. Try things with unusual shapes, colors, patterns, etc. If she's willing, ask her to rearrange the decor once to keep him interested.

AQ salt is a great thing to get, I highly advise you get it and chuck that betta fix crappolah.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

Haha, okay, no more bettafix! My mom sadly doesn't get texts, and the service was terrible. I will try to get him some new decor, or would it help if I switced his tank and Berties? I will try to get some AQ salt next time I am at Petsmart. :) Thank you guys! Yes, worst timing ever.