Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #1 
PitGurl

Petco you dissappoint me....

Today I went to petco to get some filter cartridges. I had ban myself from there but I had a 10% off coupon. OMG! The bettas were in horrible condition! A few were dead and the others were just pitiful. Many had swim bladder and there were a few with itch. Some of the others were suffering from ammonia toxicity. There is this one poor DT who has been there for over a month. His white fins are now streaked red and he was floating on his side. I grabbed one of the employees and let her have it. I just couldn’t stand to see such ignorance. She apologized and took some of the bettas to the back and thanked me for pointing them out. There was one little VT female who has been there for a couple weeks. When I first saw her she was this bright red/purple and now she has almost no color and has stress stripes. I had a lump in my throat as I walked away knowing I was leaving them there to meet a horrible fate.
On another note they had a 2.5 gallon mini bow with a broken filter on sale for $15. Normally they are $40. It is one of the betta ones with a divider but that can be fixed. As much as I hated to give them any money after seeing those poor bettas I just couldn’t walk away from such a good deal.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #2 
tracyalexa

poor things. I don't even know how to look for the "bad signs" yet. Not sure what the heck stress stripes are. More research to do.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #3 
Johnificent

:O thats just horrible...... one time i went to petco, and i couldnt find the heaters.... then my dad asked the employee, and she said that bettas didnt need heaters! i got so pissed and caller her a liar in my high-tone voice, and my dad got pissed at me cause he said that was so disrespectful :O gosh.... petco ppl >:(
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnificent View Post
:O thats just horrible...... one time i went to petco, and i couldnt find the heaters.... then my dad asked the employee, and she said that bettas didnt need heaters! i got so pissed and caller her a liar in my high-tone voice, and my dad got pissed at me cause he said that was so disrespectful :O gosh.... petco ppl >:(
i think we need to make little business card things with this websites URL on it...so when we hear horrible misleading information we can just hand over a card to said person and hopefully they will visit and become more educated on bettas.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #5 
Johnificent

thats a great idea! hahahaha :) i think petco gives us wrong info to kill our bettas so we come back for more :O
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

It is possible. It's easy for people to be mislead when they see the bettas in small unheated containers.All of other fish who require heated water and larger room are in bigger tanks, so if they required that then why aren't theythen ? you know..so it is easy for people to be mislead into believing they don't need that for that reason...Unfortunately, a lot of petstores workers don't know much more than the people who walk by and ask them questions about the bettas. (that is not always the case though..some people..a very small number do know about betta care)
in any case...

This is why it is important for us to do our own research on any pet we bring home..and not rely on one persons at the petstores information.That is with any pet though..not just fish.

I also think they need to get rid of the care information on the side of the plastic containers they come in...most of the time it is awfully wrong.

I like this one petstore near my house..They put some of the bettas in the bigger tanks with the other fish that are somewhat compatible..they always have a betta in with their cory cat tank.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #7 
baylee767

Sounds like my Petco.... except I can't say anything because my dad tells me I'm "not allowed to" because "The employee's job is to sell not clean the fish's water" Lots of moldy fungus covered Bettas either dead or nearly dead (I saw a BEAUTIFUL CT girl I wanted so bad... she was a pearly marble with turquoise fins. Naturally I can't afford another tank right now, but the poor girl has been there for at least 3 months. The females are in better condition than the males, so she doesn't have any diseases.) I just wish these chaiin stores respected their Bettas more )=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

That is awful. And what do chain petstore employees do when they take sick fish to the back? They pop them into a freezer they keep back there, killing them. :(

The nearest Petco to me is awful, and not just for the bettas. Ich is all over the place in their tanks, dead fish everywhere, and one of their oscars had gashes in his head so deep you could see the bone.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #9 
baylee767

That's terrible! How is the poor thing alive? )=> They should at least try to heal him/her. I'd FLIP, no matter WHAT my dad says, if I saw that. And it's terrible how Bettas are either flushed or frozen in these chain stores if returned. Makes me almost want to manage a petco when I growup so I can change a store with poor fish care's policy.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #10 
Johnificent

god.... i hate how my dad believes that petco employees are professional! when i say something, my dad's like, let me go ask that petco lady >:( hopefully the next time i go to petco, that lady that told me bettas dont need heaters is not there, cause im going to flip again if my dad asks questions to her >:( @bayllee767 that would be so cool if you opened your own petco, i would definitely go there, :) better quality fish for the win! hahaha, the biggest tank i have seen a betta in in my petco is about like 3 gallons :P it was with like two other fish that i dont know the name of O_O