Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Do sword plants need Co2

I got a sword plant the other day. it was 1.99 at pet supermarket...It didn't say exactly what type of sword it was it just said sword plant.. I am curious though..Do sword plants need co2? I normally will give my plants a little bit of fertilizer and proper light and they are ok. I don't use c02 in my tank.I mostly have anubias, java moss and wisteria though. Do you think the sword plant will survive under these conditions? I am interested in buying a few more but I am using this one as a practice sword for now.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 AM   #2 
ilovebunnies

I don't think CO2 is necessary for swords. It's a slow growing plant so I don't think it needs additional CO2 for growth. What your fish puts out will probably be good enough.

What Swords do need is a decent substrate and root tabs. Sand or plant substrates are good choices to keep your sword planted. Swords are root feeders so they need the root tabs to be buried in the substrate. Root tabs are tablets of fertilizer that get buried in the substrate under the plant roots. They break down and supply the plant with the nutrients it needs to live and hopefully thrive. Your sword won't benefit from you just adding fertilizer to the water column because they use their roots not their leaves to get those nutrients.

From the information you gave, it's kinda hard to determine how well the plant will do. How many watts do you have and what gallon size is your tank?

I'm assuming you have an Amazon Sword. Those are quite common and have big leaves.

Hehe practice sword. :D
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebunnies View Post
I don't think CO2 is necessary for swords. It's a slow growing plant so I don't think it needs additional CO2 for growth. What your fish puts out will probably be good enough.

What Swords do need is a decent substrate and root tabs. Sand or plant substrates are good choices to keep your sword planted. Swords are root feeders so they need the root tabs to be buried in the substrate. Root tabs are tablets of fertilizer that get buried in the substrate under the plant roots. They break down and supply the plant with the nutrients it needs to live and hopefully thrive. Your sword won't benefit from you just adding fertilizer to the water column because they use their roots not their leaves to get those nutrients.

From the information you gave, it's kinda hard to determine how well the plant will do. How many watts do you have and what gallon size is your tank?

I'm assuming you have an Amazon Sword. Those are quite common and have big leaves.

Hehe practice sword. :D
Thankyou, that was helpful!My tank is an open top 10 gallon and I have a 35 watt daylight bulb above in a can light. I just have playsand in my tank for now. I will look into getting some root tabs the next time I go to petco.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #4 
ilovebunnies

Sounds like you have a good setup to grow your plant. It should do well once you add the root tabs. ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote