Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #1 
etanico

The Cat.

I currently have my fish in a tank that's very easy for the cat to get in to. However, I'm about to upgrade to a 5 gallon, so it'll be MUCH harder for her to get in to. For this reason, I'm moving the aquarium to a place that isn't as difficult for her to reach (and one where it's easier for me to see the fish).

On that note, will the fish be bothered or have a lot of stress if the cat is lurking just outside of the tank, watching him?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #2 
roypattonphoto

funny i was just talking to some one about my cat....

my girls in the 14g tease the cat, and will literally follow the cat from one side of the tank to the other, while she tries to figure out a way in ... but so far she just leans up and puts the paw on the glass and they swim to her paw... its like u can hear the psychic bickering of " Neener neener You Cant Get Us "

Elvis will do the same thing in his 5gal... its next to my bed so that cat will get up and lay next to the tank on the night stand and Elvis will swim along that side of his tank .. but then again.. Elvis is an attention ***** and will do anything to be noticed....

but ive not seen any crazy stress over it ... i think as long as her paws to make into the water you should be fine....
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #3 
etanico

Quote:
Originally Posted by roypattonphoto View Post
funny i was just talking to some one about my cat....

my girls in the 14g tease the cat, and will literally follow the cat from one side of the tank to the other, while she tries to figure out a way in ... but so far she just leans up and puts the paw on the glass and they swim to her paw... its like u can hear the psychic bickering of " Neener neener You Cant Get Us "

Elvis will do the same thing in his 5gal... its next to my bed so that cat will get up and lay next to the tank on the night stand and Elvis will swim along that side of his tank .. but then again.. Elvis is an attention ***** and will do anything to be noticed....

but ive not seen any crazy stress over it ... i think as long as her paws to make into the water you should be fine....
Just out of curiosity....is your cat clawed or declawed?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 
B3TTA LUVA

My dogs stare at my fish all the time. All he does is stare back and flare a little. So yes just make sure those claws/or just paws dont get in the water. ^_^
B3TTA LUVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

My 2 fish in my 5.5 gallon(divided) seem to really enjoy it when my cat is sleeping beside the tank. They both swim in that direction to watch. haha
My cat normally doesn't try to mess with them though..she is pretty old and lazy.As long as your cat stays on the outside and just watches I don't think it should stress them out.They like to have other animals and people to look at I think.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #6 
roypattonphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by etanico View Post
Just out of curiosity....is your cat clawed or declawed?

clawed.. its funny the other 2 cats arent even aware theyre in the room, but the youngest simease will sit on the ground in front of the stand and watch them swim for hours..... and they will sit and stare at her as well as show off for her....but again shes made no attempts to try and find a way in.. its just pure curiosity for her that there is something inside the tank

mind u my 5g is a hex tank, and the top is complete coverd and the 14g does have openings back sides of hood...

however a bit of training the can with a squrit bottle (as i did with my other 2 cats when they were little bitties and a thing for christmas tree balls) and they get the idea....

but my cats are odd, i had a fancy rat that one cat tried to play with the rat bit the nose of the cat and got his attention and did no damage, and at that point that cat never wanted anything to do with rat... lesson learned i supposed.... lol
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #7 
phoenix91

My cats were both incredibly obnoxious wen it came to the new tank i got. The tank spent 3 days in a place where they could reach it and i think my little cats only left the tanks side to eat and pee, she also was nudging it with her head.

I got sick of her being stupid plus i think the fish was stressed out, he'd hide behind the filter the whole time she was next to the tank so i moved it for 2 days into my 1/2 bath and it's like they forgot it was even in the house.

I then installed a shelf that's about 6 ft off the ground in my bedroom, they probably could get to it if they tried really hard but so far they've left it alone. My littlest stares and meows at it constantly but at least she's not beside it anymore.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #8 
Silverfang

when I had two bettas before, the cat would love to walk on top of their tanks, she knocked one over and the poor lil guy almost got chewed on. Luckily it was in my room so I hopped up and tossed him into the tank, not the best, but it beat the bare floor and a hungry kitty.
Fast forward 5 years or so, the cat doesn't get up near my computer, so she has no idea about Scuzi, thank god.
Of course if she knew about him, she'd do her darndest to get at him

When I had my tank before she'd drink the water coming out of the filter, never munched on anything in the tank (think they knew enough to hide from her). My female betta on the other hand, scarfed on a neon tetra, she was the alpha of the tank
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote