Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #21 
LolaQuigs

A cycling sticky would be great! When I first started keeping fish I looked all over the internet for info on cycling; I found a couple of good sites, but some of their information was different so I wasn't sure which one to follow. I figured it out eventually, but it would be so convenient to have all of the info here.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #22 
PewPewPew

I get a lot of pm's about it, so Im def. going to write about that :D

I may not be too technical with what I say, which seems to be all that you can find on the internet, but I try to say what you need to do, you know?
Where sites may say "there will be a spike blahhh blahhhh chemistry stuff blahh", I opt to just say, this is gonna happen, this sort blurb is why, this is what you do.

Its one of those things that you figure out and then its done, you get it.

Mind, I will only be doing fish-in by example. Considering that non-fish cycling is less deadly since you have nothing in there, most of whats posted about that is straight forward. A lot of what is true for fish in is true too for non-fish cycling :3

Im like 1/4 done with plants!

Bettasforever and I are also getting knee deep into the disease one, too. Its hard, though, GAH! Im having trouble finding meds that arent super hard to obtain as well as ones that work best- I know from experience how hard it can be to get the most effective but harder to get meds :c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:55 AM   #23 
xx420blazexx

I would say a tankmate list of fish/snails/shrimp that are acceptable, iffy, and definitely not recommended for housing with a betta. I think that would be very helpful. Also it could include a rule of thumb or explanation for how many creatures it is okay to keep in a certain size tank without over crowding. With each fish or animal, it would also be nice if their average size, temperament, and swimming level (or any other pertinent info) was briefly discussed.

I think also a cool topic would be betta "toys" that anyone could make or buy and modify at home. Maybe things that you could put outside or inside the tank. I've seen it mentioned here somewhere before but the topic didn't really go into any kind of detail. Maybe others could submit their toys and pictures of them.
xx420blazexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #24 
PewPewPew

That sounds good. Im going to write what I can on tank mates, though I wont have too too much info. I'll have links to other resources, though.

And toys, sounds goood!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

We have a sticky on cycling at TropicalFishKeeping.com.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #26 
PewPewPew

You do? Oooh, I havent found it...There's so many sub-forums there :B *gets lost all the time*
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #27 
DaveC

Cycling would be very good. Especially mentioning how agonizingly long fishless cycling from a standing start can take. I thought my tank was never going to cycle...

A good breakdown by tank size of what works. How many fish in a divided tank, what species need what size to have enough space, what plants will rapidly outgrow a small tank.

I only have space for a 5g and it has been hard to figure out what will go in besides ONE Betta. Shrimp and/or snails, but how many of each and what sorts?

My sense of how many fish in a tank is totally biased towards goldfish, minimum of 10g per inch of fish, more is better, and as much filtration as you can get.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #28 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Cycling would be very good. Especially mentioning how agonizingly long fishless cycling from a standing start can take. I thought my tank was never going to cycle...

A good breakdown by tank size of what works. How many fish in a divided tank, what species need what size to have enough space, what plants will rapidly outgrow a small tank.

I only have space for a 5g and it has been hard to figure out what will go in besides ONE Betta. Shrimp and/or snails, but how many of each and what sorts?

My sense of how many fish in a tank is totally biased towards goldfish, minimum of 10g per inch of fish, more is better, and as much filtration as you can get.
Ive actually never done fishless... :c But Im sure they have a good sticky in tropicalfishkeeping.com 's forums somewhere! (youre a member to both this and that site!)

Can do, will do. I tend to go higher on my dividing scale, ie, 5 gallons minimum for two bettas, but thats just me. Ill include that.

As for the how many shrimp/snails, Ill look into that, too, because I dont honestly know yet. Ill research it!

Update:

Plants one is nearly done!!! Still nitpicking the disease one...booo.

Once the plants are done, Ill start the other requests!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #29 
phoenix91

Really looking forward to the plant one, my two amazon swords will be thankful for it too.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #30 
PewPewPew

Im hoping to finish by tonight! I have a decent bit of plants on the list. Its hard to get so many, though, because I cross check the info with at least two other sites DX Ffffff!!! I can send you the info I have for those plants now, if you want.

Most of the listees have a blurb/bio, fertilization requirements (most dont have any, easy plants!), where to put in the tank, lighting, special info/care and if they root, get buried or float ^w^