Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 
baylee767

Thumbs up And so the tank renovation begins

I got back from Europe yesterday, and already I'm redoing my tank (just as I said I would)

I've taken out the filter and put my biowheel in some water, now I'll remove the hood, draina the tank, remove plants, substrate, and give it a MASSIVE cleanout (Huge algae bloom while I was gone, probably 10 different types I swear...) I put Neon for an overnight stay in his old 2.5 gallon tank.

My dad said we can't go to the fish store today but we will go tomorrow, and since I have all day today but soccer tommorow and the draining of the tank will take way longer then putting in the decorations and new substrate I'm doing the tank cleanout today, the new tank setup tommorrow.

Pics will be posted tommorrow, don't you worry! You can probably tell from some of my threads, but I'm not telling you the exact design until it's done. So, wish me luck in cleaning it out!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #2 
Johnificent

ha, good luck! XD i cant wait to see pictures!
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

I can't wait to see it!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #4 
ilovebunnies

Yay! You're back from Europe. Time for pictures! ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #5 
baylee767

Welll there's some pleasant news! My dad saw how serious I was about redoing my tank and let me go to the pet store. He bought me a $40 substrate I really wanted (= It's some kind of substrate from "azoo" Called (lol) Azoo plant grower bed. It's Japanese or somethin and the translation is terrible. Now I'm going to finish up with the draining of my tank.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 
ilovebunnies

That's awesome you got new substrate for plants but $40!!! Wow, that's either some big bag or some good substrate. ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #7 
Johnificent

wow, your dad is so cool! hahaha, wow.. thats expensive for substrate, but it must look really nice, hahaha XD
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #8 
baylee767

Yup, it's good substrate (The bag is designed with enough gravel for a 10 gallon tank 0.0) It was basically the careibian sea red soil thing at about $10 cheaper.

I'll. Never. Ever. EVER. Redo. A. Fish. tank. Again.

I drained the water and using a net I had to scoop out about 15 pounds of gravel (there was still about an inch of water, I couldn't get it all, so I had to use a net) Then I had the nerve wracking expirience of carrying a glass 10 gallon tank to the bathtub. I was terrified I'd drop it Lol. Next I had to scrub for a REALLY long time with multiple wash clothes as everything I used got coated in a brown sludge (Silicates in my tap= severe diatom problem. But I finally bought something today to combat that) And blue sludge, too (Sticky looking gravel dust forming in pools and sticking to diatoms) I feel so sorry for forcing Neon to live in this house of horrors (Shockingly it also smelled of fish )= )

I FINALLY finished though, and now I'm taking a little break lol. I don't know how people like dormdrax stand those constant 100% water changes on 10 gallon tanks. People who dont redo their tanks only know of the fun part, putting in decor and having fun with it. They have no idea how hard it is to clean out a 10 gallon tank with a thick layer of diatom sludge on every tank wall. Oh yeah, and I haven't even started the plants yet...

Lol. Basically, I'm warning you now. If you're okay with your tank design but think that instead of brown gravel you should have black, don't do it. Your welcome (= lol.

I can't wait to decorate this tank now (=

EDIT: Apparently you're not supposed to wash off the substrate. It sort of makes sense though, because it has fertilizer. Do you think I should follow the directions and not wash it? Because it also says on the bag "no need to change the water for 15 months" when you use it -.-

DOUBLE EDIT: I'll just follow the instructions

Last edited by baylee767; 03-30-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 AM   #9 
baylee767

FINISHED!

I worked this whole time to setup this tank. It now looks much more natural, and I LOVE it! I'll be posting some pics once i put Neon in (might have to wait a few hours as the substrate changes PH and i don't want to put him in while that's going on.... and the tank's still cloudy)

Even though the exact same plants are in as before, it looks kind of empty and just a little bit boring though /= just another excuse to get more plants! (Anubias!)
Old 03-31-2011, 01:43 AM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Changing out your substrate is a pain in the rear. I have a couple of tanks that I am transferring from gravel to sand that I'm deliberately putting off for a nice rainy day.

Also, I'm not sure if this specific brand of soil does, but I know some soils that contain fertilisers (ADA Aquasoil for example) leech enormous amounts of ammonia into the water column.

In one tank I had with Aquasoil, the ammonia hit 4ppm. It was only that my pH was so low that my fish weren't affected. As soon as I took out the soil and replaced it with gravel, my ammonia dropped to 0.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote