Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question Driftwood?

I have always had a liking for driftwood. I'll probably be buying some today (If not, at least some time this week) for my fish tank redo.

I've heard that you have to either boil it or soak it in water for a few weeks. But, can you just rinse it off and put it in the tank?

The diftwood sold here in the fish stores weigh more then you'd expect they would, and holding one it's easy to imagine is sinking like a rock. I don't really want to wait a long time for the soaking and I can't boil it. I wouldn't mind tannins leaking into the tank, it's my goal to get tannins in that tank.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #2 
JackisLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
I have always had a liking for driftwood. I'll probably be buying some today (If not, at least some time this week) for my fish tank redo.

I've heard that you have to either boil it or soak it in water for a few weeks. But, can you just rinse it off and put it in the tank?

The diftwood sold here in the fish stores weigh more then you'd expect they would, and holding one it's easy to imagine is sinking like a rock. I don't really want to wait a long time for the soaking and I can't boil it. I wouldn't mind tannins leaking into the tank, it's my goal to get tannins in that tank.
You can just place it in your tank, it's fine. But if it came from another tank there might be some things carried over.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #3 
baylee767

Thank you! Nope, at literally every LFS around here they just have huge buckets filled with big chunks of (dry) driftwood (I think it's usually african bogwood) that would fit into and fill a 10 gallon tank nicely. So I guess I'll just rinse it off and place it in once I buy some.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #4 
JackisLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Thank you! Nope, at literally every LFS around here they just have huge buckets filled with big chunks of (dry) driftwood (I think it's usually african bogwood) that would fit into and fill a 10 gallon tank nicely. So I guess I'll just rinse it off and place it in once I buy some.
Scrub hard, there's a lot of loose dirt and debris on it. I scrub soaked over night, scrub again and used. Tannis was not so bad. 20% water changes every day kept up with it in my 5 gallon
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Personally, I usually just soak it for 24 - 48 hours in hot water changing the water out a few times. If it doesn't want to stay down, I put a few rocks on it.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #6 
Moldau

Great choice, driftwood does so much for the appearance of aquariums! I'm pretty sure the boiling/soaking for long periods is just for getting rid of tannins or to make it sink, so if you're going for the blackwater look, there's no need to do that. I agree with Jackislost, just make sure it's clean. I soaked my driftwood for a couple of weeks I think, but it still leaches some tannins. To me it gives the colors in the aquarium a subtle warmth. It's really nice.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #7 
tokala

In the last week, I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of drift wood. I posted this thread today that will explain some of the frustration I have experienced: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66609 However I also spent a lot of time boiling and soaking, making it feel like it was high maintenance. If you are going to just put it in the tank, then no worries! I am sure it will look beautiful! And if you start to see white fuzz (see other thread) never fear: it is nasty but common and supposedly temporary :)
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 AM   #8 
baylee767

tokala: I actually had that in my 10g before yet I had no driftwood 0.0 I wonder if zebra nerite snails eat it (getting 3 soon because I usually can't scrub more than 30% of the algae off.

I got a really nice piece of driftwood, it's smooth and has a pretty shape. I'll be adding the driftwood soon (Though there is nothing in my tank but a new substrate right now as I am redoing it) When I finish there'll be pics here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66656
Old 03-31-2011, 03:40 AM   #9 
ilovebunnies

Hey baylee, just make sure the water isn't too dark. The plants might have trouble getting light if the light has trouble penetrating the dark water to get to the plants. You can put the driftwood in now but you probably would have to do more water changes and maybe add carbon to your filter. A little bit of tannins won't hurt but the water can get pretty dark if the driftwood isn't pre-soaked or boiled. I think there are variations in tannin production depending on what wood you use.

Just a suggestion ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 AM   #10 
baylee767

Trust me not going to happen )=

My substrate sucks tannins out of the water... grrr....

And it's a pretty small piece of driftwood. So for now, my plants can rest on, knowing they are safe.