Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #1 
Jupiter

Sorority!

I just finished setting up my sorority, and I'm quite pleased with it. I really miseed how great they are, seeing all the females zip around in the tank.

Just 2 things...

Probem 1: I'm thinking one of the girls I recently bought is actually male.

I definitely wanted 5 for my sorority, so if anything happened to one of the girls I could take her out and there would still be 4 left.

When I was picking the 5th female out, I had a choice between 2 females. One of them seemed like a male to me, so I went for the more...female-y one.
She has some breeding bars too (vertical), so I thought she was definitely a girl!

But now she is being really aggressive...I think to myself, it's normal since they've just been introduced. She starts flaring, I think...it's rare, but I've had a female fare in my previous sorority too. But now, I don't know...the more I look at her, the less convinced I am. She's going crazy flaring against her reflection and trying to attack it, and she'll flare and chase any other girl away.

Problem 2: I can't find my cable that connects to my camera anywhere to show you guys this girl so we can figure out the gender! I just moved my stuff, so everything's a mess.

Other than that, everything seems to be well so far. My copper girl high tailed it somewhere in the back of the tank to hide. Penny & Potts are doing a thorough search of the place, not bothering anything so far. The white girl is currently cruising on the ground inspecting everything, she seems really surprised by the plants.

Sp yeah, no pictures sadly until I can find this darn cable! I;ll be keeping a close eye on the girl/boy, but if it's a boy I unfortunately think I may have to find a home for him.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #2 
CrowntailxKing

You could exchange him at the store you bought him from for another female.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #3 
Jupiter

I'm pretty sure I threw out the receipt.

But I cupped the aggressive girl since I thought maybe she was acting a little TOO crazy, just to be safe since I won't be in today to keep and eye on them.

So far, everything else is okay. Penny and Potts are getting along famously so far, swimming around together. Not a nip on either of them. Maybe it's because they're both orange?

My copper girl is mostly hiding, but ever since I cupped the really aggressive girl that was bothering her, I've seen her try to push my other girls around a few times. But then she gets jumpy and goes and hides again. xD

White girl seems to be fine too. She was sleeping somewhere this morning so I didn't really see her yet, but she seemed to be okay too.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #4 
CrowntailxKing

I noticed my two red females got along with each other also. I figured it was because they were both red...interesting. They all get along now, though. They all swim around each other..a few nips here and there from Rainbow, as she pushed her way up in the pecking order and is now the alpha. Poor Jenny, the former alpha, she was so depressed :( But at least everything is, for the most part, alright now.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #5 
xswornxoffxjello

Sororities are so much fun! I had a girl when I first set mine up who acted like a guy--she built bublenests, flared, ripped the others to shreds and tried to make Cora (really eggy by this point) come under the nest with her. O.O To the best of my knowledge she was actually female, but I was never sure. Maybe if s/he doesn't settle down someone on the forum would want to take him/her. Good luck! I'm glad that the others are doing well. :)
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #6 
Jupiter

The girl(?) has calmed down a lot since the 'time out' I gave her, now she doesn't really bother anyone. I see her and Persephone nipping each other sometimes, trying to establish dominance.

My other three girls are very mild mannered and haven't bothered each other at all. :)

It's funny, though, I expected my white girl to be the big sassy one, and she's been the best behaved so far. I thought Persephone would be around the bottom of the pecking order because she's pretty cowardloy, but she's trying to push everyone around now.

But in other news...I think my girls might have eaten my shrimp. I haven't seen most of them for for a couple of days.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #7 
fleetfish

Congrats on your new soap opera ... er sorority!

Too bad about the shrimps though.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #8 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Shrimps are too tasty for their own good!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote