So on Sunday I went to petsmart. After hours of research on Betta fish I thought I had everything figured out and that I would be able to get exactly what I needed for my first ever Betta fish. I think my brain stopped! Picking my Betta wasn't very difficult because a lot of them didn't look very healthy and because I'm a first timer I knew I wouldn't be able to nurse them back to health. So here I am standing in the fish area holding this Betta Fish trying to find fish tanks and freaking out because I can't remember any of the information I had researched. It was a tramatic experience! I ended up leaving that day with a 2.5 gallon tank, Betta pellets, Freeze dried blood worms, a submersible heater, a submersed filter, and an adorable blue male Betta fish who I immediately named Pez (Spanish for fish). Two days later Pez is in his tank with a little pot, an orange plastic plant, and one of those leaf hammock things. The heater is set at 78 degrees and the filter is running. Pez is not the most active guy, but he looks healthy and happy and he DOES flare at mirrors which I will admit to freaking out with excitement over when he did it at first. My only questions now are:
1. Do you think I could find a better filter for a 2.5 gallon tank? The one I have now sits inside the tank, and just takes up WAY to much room! Is there a small one that you guys could send me a link to that sits outside the tank? (PS it has to be quiet because Pez lives in my room)
2. Is 78 degrees a good temp?
3. Will 2.5 gallons be okay for a first timer like me? I really don't want to have to go out and buy another bigger tank but I will if you guys REALLY recommend it!
4. He's not eating. Anything. He won't eat the food pellets, and he only stares at the worms?!
5. How often do you guys think I need to do partial and full water changes? I repeat: It is a 2.5 gallon tank, it does get sunlight during the day but it's not direct, it does have a filter
Okay thanks guys! I posted another thread and I got AWESOME responses but I just wanted to do another! Thanks!