Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #1 
RillC
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Smile Brought home my first fish yesterday-- recommendations?

I found the most gorgeous crowntail when I visited the pet store and he just called to me. I have a limited budget so I went with the the basic Marina betta starter kit. It's the covered 1/2 gal tank, which is a good thing considering I believe he tried to jump a couple of times in the first hour of being in the tank.

I have the tank placed 1 1/2ft above the room's electric heater and the front of the tank is no more than 1ft from the heater. I will be getting a thermometer and a light shortly to make sure he's fairly comfortable, as well as a container to store the water for water changes.

The kit came with water conditioner and flake food that lists krill, fish meal, and another fish ingredient as the first 3. He's been swimming around, exploring everything and spreading his fins (but not his gills) fairly often since going in the tank. He's fairly active so far. I will be trying a little feeding tonight since he'll have had time to settle in.

I would like some recommendations on water changes and anything else you think I should know. I have read the sticky about betta care, but I would like advice specific to what my little tank allows.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish
Member
 
Littlebittyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RillC View Post
I found the most gorgeous crowntail when I visited the pet store and he just called to me. I have a limited budget so I went with the the basic Marina betta starter kit. It's the covered 1/2 gal tank, which is a good thing considering I believe he tried to jump a couple of times in the first hour of being in the tank.

I have the tank placed 1 1/2ft above the room's electric heater and the front of the tank is no more than 1ft from the heater. I will be getting a thermometer and a light shortly to make sure he's fairly comfortable, as well as a container to store the water for water changes.

The kit came with water conditioner and flake food that lists krill, fish meal, and another fish ingredient as the first 3. He's been swimming around, exploring everything and spreading his fins (but not his gills) fairly often since going in the tank. He's fairly active so far. I will be trying a little feeding tonight since he'll have had time to settle in.

I would like some recommendations on water changes and anything else you think I should know. I have read the sticky about betta care, but I would like advice specific to what my little tank allows.
Don't they just do that? It is hard to go in a petstore and not bring a betta home.
I would personally try to get him into something a little bigger. They sell critter carriers for about 6-10 dollars at petco or petsmart. (some of them go up to 3 gallons!)
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752730
http://www.petco.com/product/12031/P...t=OnSiteSearch
http://www.petco.com/product/5914/PE...t=OnSiteSearch

On a 1/2 gallon tank I would do 100% water change daily. Ammonia can build up fast in a tank that size.When you do water changes make sure to get the new water as close to the temperature as the old water so not to stress him out. Flakes are ok to feed but be careful you only feed him one or two at a time and he eats it, otherwise they can dirty the water pretty fast. I prefer pellets. I have one betta who will only eat flakes though!
A thermometer is a good idea. Betta fish are tropical fish and love warm water. too many temperature fluctuations can stress them out and make them more likely to get sick.I am not sure if they make heaters for a tank that size...but if you decide to get something a little bigger for your little guy I would look into getting a heater for him.

Best of luck with your new fish! I look forward to pictures!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #3 
CrowntailxKing
Member
 
CrowntailxKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
And if you prefer a glass aquarium over the critter keepers, 2.5 gallon aquariums only cost around $13 and, if you have the room, a 10 gallon aquarium only costs about $12. I was surprised to find the 10g was cheaper than the 2.5g.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #4 
scootshoot
Member
 
scootshoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Congrats on your purchase. Because you are on a limited budget you do want your new buddy to be with you a long time, right? Well maintained Betta's have been reported to live up to 5+ years in captivity.

That said, in a 1/2 gallon home consistent water changes is pretty much key. As the poster stated above, 100pct changes daily is the rule, not when the owner feels like it. At low volume, water quality will spike quick. Your betta may look healthy Sunday evening and can quickly become sick 24 hours later and you may find yourself spending more $$$$ on unnecessary medication additives to save him.

Far as proper water changes. Have an empty gallon water jug on hand, since your setup requires daily changes, get two jugs. Fill them with tap water and add conditioner (product called PRIME is a good value and will last you a long time). Let these sit 24 hours or more, this is done to allow the water to get up to room temperature. On the day of your water change use one of these jugs to fill....

Last edited by scootshoot; 03-31-2011 at 08:35 AM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish
Member
 
Littlebittyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
And if you prefer a glass aquarium over the critter keepers, 2.5 gallon aquariums only cost around $13 and, if you have the room, a 10 gallon aquarium only costs about $12. I was surprised to find the 10g was cheaper than the 2.5g.
I know isn't that crazy!? I went with a 10 gallon too for this reason. If you decide to do this just make sure you keep the water level down an inch or two because bettas love to jump! I haven't had any issues with my open top 10 gallon...but my fish is an old guy and he moves around pretty slow most of the time. He is more interested in finding the cory cats food at the bottom than jumping out I guess.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #6 
CrowntailxKing
Member
 
CrowntailxKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Because you are on a limited budget you do want your new buddy to be with you a long time, right? Well maintained Betta's have been reported to live up to 5+ years in captivity.

That said, in a 1/2 gallon home consistent water changes is pretty much key. As the poster stated above, 100pct changes daily is the rule, not when the owner feels like it. At low volume, water quality will spike quick. Your betta may look healthy Sunday evening and can quickly become sick 24 hours later and you may find yourself spending more $$$$ on unnecessary medication additives to save him.

Far as proper water changes. Have an empty gallon water jug on hand, since your setup requires daily changes, get two jugs. Fill them with tap water and add conditioner (product called PRIME is a good value and will last you a long time). Let these sit 24 hours or more, this is done to allow the water to get up to room temperature. On the day of your water change use one of these jugs to fill....

...speaking of "not when the own feels like it." I need to go do a water change. Thanks for giving me a guilty conscience ;) jk
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #7 
scootshoot
Member
 
scootshoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
...speaking of "not when the own feels like it." I need to go do a water change. Thanks for giving me a guilty conscience ;) jk
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I agree with Littlebitttyfish about flakes. I don't like them especially if people doing partial water changes. Flakes go right to the bottom of tank and contaminate the water.

I also like 100% water changes.

I want to recommend the pellets that all my bettas love:
BettaFood by AQUEON -love those pellets.

New Life Spectum Betta Formula

Color Enhancing Betta Bits by TOP FIN-they a little bit bigger pellet then other ones but all my bettas love them too

I also like Hikari freeze Dried Blood Worms with bio -Encapsulated Multi-vitamins.
All those pellets have fish meal,brine shrimp, vitamins, protein, garlic etc
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #9 
CrowntailxKing
Member
 
CrowntailxKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
I agree with Littlebitttyfish about flakes. I don't like them especially if people doing partial water changes. Flakes go right to the bottom of tank and contaminate the water.

I also like 100% water changes.

I want to recommend the pellets that all my bettas love:
BettaFood by AQUEON -love those pellets.

New Life Spectum Betta Formula

Color Enhancing Betta Bits by TOP FIN-they a little bit bigger pellet then other ones but all my bettas love them too

I also like Hikari freeze Dried Blood Worms with bio -Encapsulated Multi-vitamins.
All those pellets have fish meal,brine shrimp, vitamins, protein, garlic etc
"Flakes go right to the bottom of tank and contaminate the water." That's what bottom feeders are for ;D
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #10 
CrowntailxKing
Member
 
CrowntailxKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlakatFighter View Post
A 1/2 gallon is perfectly fine, don't mind these people who always inist on others to get a bigger tank. Those people wouldn't be satisfy if your betta's aquairium were as big as Shamu's.... they'll still not be satisfied so don't mind them.

And daily water changes? Are you freakin' kidding me? Tell me you are, to whoever suggested that. To the thread starter, as far as water changes go these people always try to tell someone to over-do it... for whatever reason, who knows. For me in a half-gallon I would do 1-2 water change per week. Constantly changing water will stress the fish out and not give him enough time to acclimitize to the water.

These are just my opinion.
What does that even mean? :P No one "always" insists on bigger tanks. Sure, 1/2 gallon is fine if you don't plan on putting plants or ornaments in there...not much room to swim around in and explore. There is a difference between swimming around and simply swimming back and forth.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brought home new Champion inTOXICATEDx2 Betta Pictures 6 03-23-2011 09:06 PM
Brought my third one home DazzleKitty Betta Chat 11 12-06-2010 06:01 AM
Look what my husband brought home today... rlw Betta Pictures 11 04-26-2010 12:34 PM
Brought Our First Betta Home Apriles Betta Fish Care 7 04-15-2010 08:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.