Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #11 
lalalaura

When I first got my betta I had him in a 1/2 gallon for about 6 months. He was fine in there with a small plant. Each week I did one 50% water change and one 100% change with cleaning the gravel and plant. Sometimes I would skip a water change and he would be fine. Now I've had him for over a year and he is now in a 1.5 gallon tank, healthy and happy.
It would be a good idea to get a thermometer if he is above a heater to make sure the water stays at a constant temperature and doesn't get too hot.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #12 
Silverfang

I believe she said she planned to get one later today
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #13 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlakatFighter View Post
A 1/2 gallon is perfectly fine, don't mind these people who always inist on others to get a bigger tank. .
Agreed.

But I am one of the weird sort of fish hobbyist, I like watching my little buddy's interact with the environment. Like right now I see my boy resting in his betta log making a little bubble nest in the top opening. Now he is on the opposite side of the tank flaring at his snail companion. Now he's swimming back and forth begging for food.

Now place this same guy in a 1/2 gallon. Well. Out goes the betta log, out goes the snail and definitely won't be able to move around so much so instead I am going to be subjected to observing a near bare habitat with a lone fish who can do little else but "Chill". Nothing wrong with this of course, but like I said, I am sort of weird in that aspect.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #14 
LolaQuigs

In such a small tank, ammonia builds quickly, and without a filter it requires very frequent water changes. Yes, these constant water changes can potentially be stressful, which is one reason people tend to recommend 1 gallon or more. Also, the smaller the tank, the more difficult it is to heat accurately. Bigger tanks are ultimately a lot easier to maintain.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlakatFighter View Post
A 1/2 gallon is perfectly fine, don't mind these people who always inist on others to get a bigger tank. Those people wouldn't be satisfy if your betta's aquairium were as big as Shamu's.... they'll still not be satisfied so don't mind them.

And daily water changes? Are you freakin' kidding me? Tell me you are, to whoever suggested that. To the thread starter, as far as water changes go these people always try to tell someone to over-do it... for whatever reason, who knows. For me in a half-gallon I would do 1-2 water change per week. Constantly changing water will stress the fish out and not give him enough time to acclimitize to the water.

These are just my opinion.
Lets shove you in a fridge for a week without cleaning your wastes.
You'd be a pretty happy kid. LOL Ive tested the water in a half gallon tank with an average size betta, no live/stemmed plants, and yes- it can and often does peak between .25-5+ppm ammonia.

So, what were you saying? And ha. You test it after a week of not changing it.

Im not disagreeing with the size, that's preference, though hey- bigger is better, but for the changes,sorry but you're incorrect. Dont believe me?

Test it yourself.

Edit:
And as for not being able to get a "huge" tank, no, most people cant. Which is fine.

But really. If youve got not enough space for a one gallon (which is really the same size, just more vertical), then why did you get the fish?

You wouldnt get a horse and keep it in your bathroom. Or a dog and keep it in your closet. They need space, and if you can fit it, why get it?
And no, Im not talking about 10+ gallon tanks here...

Last edited by PewPewPew; 03-31-2011 at 02:24 PM.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #16 
RillC

Well, thanks to everyone for all the advice. Day 1 report thus far:

He's swimming around quite a bit and when I fed him a bit of flake(about 2-3), he gobbled down every single scrap in less than a minute so I think he must like the flakes.

The thermometer is in and currently registers 72 degrees. It's a little colder than I would like, but when I get a light, it might raise the temp a degree or two.

I want to get a solid fabric net to take him out for the 100% water changes, but the local pet store didn't carry them so that is on the agenda for tomorrow. I am not risking his beautiful fins with a mesh net.

I got a 2L pitcher to store water and a large coffee mug to hold him during water changes. Both have been scoured with boiling water and the mug is currently in the water being prepared for tonight's water change. I just need to find something to partly cover the mug so he doesn't jump out and I need to be careful when scooping him out with the mug. He came in a bag, so I don't have any of the little cups. He's a bit on the smaller size compared with the others that were on the store, but he has lots of personality.

I will be keeping an eye out for a secondhand larger tank kit, but I will do the best I can for him with my current setup until that becomes possible.

Last edited by RillC; 03-31-2011 at 03:05 PM.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #17 
BETTACHKALOVE

Each of my bettas in 2.5 gall and i like to do 100% water changes. I have bettas at work. 2 of that bettas in 1 gall and actually one in i think even less than 0.5 gall. I just can't give him bigger tank at work. He is i think approximately 17 or 15 month old. I try change him every 3 days 100% of the water. But i always make sure he eats all his food it never go to the bottom.

Also temperature at work 70*.

At home i keep my betta at 74* and my bettas old.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

I keep mine bettas in the low temperature too.
I also think when anyone treats betta they have to be careful with temperature.
For example FIN ROT can be bacterial or fungal and if it fungal it will get worse with warmer water.
I heard that betta really adjustable to the temperature.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #19 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RillC View Post
I will be keeping an eye out for a secondhand larger tank kit, but I will do the best I can for him with my current setup until that becomes possible.

Good idea, don't get an upgrade tank til some amazing deal comes along. TIP: Keep an eye out for LionMom's posts, that poster digs up the most amazing deals!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #20 
CrowntailxKing

Here's a good, small set up for around $30: 2.5 gallon tank ($13) + Gravel ($10) + one small plant ($2.99 with PetSmart card) + one larger plant ($4.99 with PetSmart card). That is $30, so add tax and voila! You can also buy a whisper filter for around $13 or so I believe and a heater for 1-3 gallons for around another $14...of course, those are optional if you think you're Betta is fine without them. Filters, along with cycling the aquarium, means A LOT less time changing water. I bought a siphon vacuum ($8 + tax) today, so that also takes a lot of time out since you can easily do 25% water changes with a siphon.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote