Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #21 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
Each of my bettas in 2.5 gall and i like to do 100% water changes. I have bettas at work. 2 of that bettas in 1 gall and actually one in i think even less than 0.5 gall. I just can't give him bigger tank at work. He is i think approximately 17 or 15 month old. I try change him every 3 days 100% of the water. But i always make sure he eats all his food it never go to the bottom.

Also temperature at work 70*.

At home i keep my betta at 74* and my bettas old.
If he is in less than one gallon, you must do daily 100% water changes. Ammonia builds up fast. And I honestly think less than half a gallon is inadequate for a betta. Regardless of how much you are feeding him, they constantly secrete ammonia through their gills so regular water changes are necessary. Every three days is not enough, especially in less than half a gallon.

Also, 70 and 74 is too cold. Betta are tropical fish and need to be kept in tropical temperatures, which is about 76-82.

@Anhel, bettas can adjust to temperatures but that doesn't mean putting them in 70 degree water.

@RillC, even if the light raises it a few degrees, it is too cold. The temp should be at about 76-82. Also, using a light to heat the water isn't a good idea because when you turn the light off at night the water will get cold again fast.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #22 
Arashi Takamine

To be honest...I'm guilty of wanting to buy one of those 1/2 gallon ones but after seeing one in real life...It's a good temp home but not a permanant one. I would recommend looking around your local pottery stores for something at least 1 gallon. I found two glass cookie jars I turned into tanks and they look amazing. The jars only cost 10 dollars at that. Petco has some good deals regarding silk plants as well. You can find some interesting stuff on sale online and see if you can get it shipped to your store. I've also seen 5 gallon tanks on sale for 25 dollars on Walmart.com.

As long as your doing 100% changes daily then he should be okay until you can get him a bigger tank.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #23 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlakatFighter View Post
Yeap, seems like that's the ideal way of taking care of your betta's unlike some of these people in here who feel the need to change the water like twice a day and build a swimming pool in the backyard, not for themselves but for their 1 betta to live in.
This is NOT the ideal way. No one here ever said anything about twice daily water changes (unless it was required) or buying your betta a pool-sized tank, or anything like that . We just want to provide adequate care, which means regular water changes and good temperatures.

70 and 74 is NOT okay. Changes the water every three days in a less than half gallon tank is NOT okay either. Please stop telling people it is okay, because it is not.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #24 
RillC

Day 1 update:

First water change went fairly well. He's behaving about the same now that he's back in the tank. Catching him was difficult because he kept swimming under the mug. I definitely need to get that net tomorrow.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #25 
TheCrysCat

Catching fish with mugs is hard xD I've done it with cups, too. A good trick is to put it just behind the fish, and gently place it in the water so it creates a sort of vacuum. The fish goes in, and voila!
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #26 
RillC

I remember doing that a lot when I worked at a pet store about 7 years ago. I have the little fake plant that came with my set in there so there isn't a lot of room to maneuver the mug. He's very clever and quick to react.

The other reason I want to get a net is so I can place some of the new water in the holding mug before he goes in and then there will be less of the old water going back in with him. Since I'm working with room temperatures there is hardly any temperature difference between the old and new water. Does that seem like a good plan?

The floating thermometer is really paying off for this since I can check both the tank and the new water before a water change.

Last edited by RillC; 03-31-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #27 
TheCrysCat

Oooh, I'd like to work at a pet store when I'm older :D And as long as they're in the same room, I don't see a problem with it. Just make sure that all of the water's treated and at the same PH.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #28 
TheCrysCat

^Hey, if they have the money, who cares how they spend it? I doubt this is how you meant to come off, but you sound sort of like you're looking down at turtle10 for defending a purse. And as for the whole "ideal" thing... it's a matter of water parameters and such. Bettas are extremely hardy, but one shouldn't be pushing their luck. If BETTACHKALOVE is only able to do those water changes every three days, then so be it. They've tried their best. But in most cases, it's far from ideal.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #29 
RillC

Exactly my thought. Here, I get to learn the ideal so that I can come as close to it as my current situation allows. So far my fish seems happy and I'll do the best I can to keep him that way.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #30 
TheCrysCat

And that's very admirable :) A good fish owner is someone who does their best to provide their fish with a good life. Welcome to the hobby!