Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #31 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
No offense is taken, and I know you didn't mean to be racist or offensive by saying this, but it's good to keep in mind that that pretty much anything that says "No offense meant" or "not to be racist" will tend to offend or be racist. Next time, don't just take one specific group or race and say "they do this, they do that", because there is an equal chance that anyone of any race will be like that. :)

As for your links, it really is sad, but chances are the vendors are doing what they need to do to make money, even if it isn't morally correct.

Lol, I'm part chinese, and I take no offense to anything. XDDD

This is terrible, but it is true that the majority of China is like this. This is not the worst I've heard about when it comes to Animal Cruelty Laws in China (or lack thereof). This includes food as well...I've always been told by my grandma that, to her ancestors, Buddha said: "any living creature with it's back facing the sun is food for humans". Hence why you always hear stories of people eating dog/cat/bugs/etc.

Sure western cultures strongly disapprove of eastern cultures, but whining and complaining about it is not going to change x many years of history. It's like a similar situation of eastern cultures whining and complaining to western cultures for "wasting good food" by keeping dogs/cats as pets. I don't think you're going to change your views on that, yeah?

I noticed that in the article one man bought a turtle to hang in his office. He's right, turtles are EXTREMELY good luck to have in an office, it's pretty much the equivalent of a money magnet. However, it's not like he can have a legit tank in his cubicle, or in his office unless he's a CEO or something. Then I noticed that a tourist bought one, just to release it. Notice this difference in mindset? It's a culture thing, not necessarily a moral thing.

Also in response to the Beijing Olympics Goldfish keyrings, there was:
“We can’t understand why anyone would want to buy such a thing.”

That's exactly my point, westerners would not understand the mindset, but if left unattended, this kind of thing would be insanely popular...especially if somebody bought 8 gold ones and one black one!

*I* personally don't like this whole thing, due to the lack of space and oxygen and the "nutrient water", but if I were indeed allowed to bring in a 100 gallon tank with 8 gold fancies and 1 black moor to an exam/work, I would TOTALLY do it. I need all the luck I can get, lmao.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #32 
Cassandra90

I have talked to my boyfriend about this and he said the exact same thing about the animals back facing the sun is food. He is Japanese and lived in Japan until he was 16. He does not agree with the bagged live animals, but like you said it is part of their heritage/tradition of good luck. Myself, I don't think wrong of people who have ate dog, cat and etc. I have family members that eat horse, I may cringe but it is part of the heritage.

I just don't understand why keep something like that in such a small place where they are unable to more nor take a breathe almost. Even though it is good luck you would think you would want to keep it alive for the spirituality of the sense of goodluck to live on too. But it is like how some carry the rabbits foot for goodluck, it is dead of course but the thought of good luck still lives on.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #33 
bahamut285

I heard horse meat is really tough/chewy! I don't have any family members that eat dog/cat, but my great-grandma used to make soups out of bugs for my mum...if it were me...I would run, XD

But I definitely agree with you, the little bags seem silly, because if the animal dies that's really bad luck, :P...I would probably run home as fast as I could and cut the bag open immediately X_X.

I think the idea with the Beijing ones is the temporary luck just to have at the stadium, it's not luck for the person holding them, but for the athletes. No actual idea though :/
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #34 
Cassandra90

I have only tried the crickets that are fried and seasoned with chilli powder, it was interesting.
My boyfriends parents have ate dog when living in Japan. Of course living here now they said they wouldn't and they own a dog now as a pet.

I never thought of that for the goldfish at the stadium.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #35 
Luimeril

it's not easy at all to carry the Kritter Keepers by the handle. o.o the handles are actually kinda useless unless they're empty, or don't have water in them. i took the handles off my KK's. .____o
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote