Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #1 
nleslie

Question Red 'web' vein on dorsal fin?

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and am really excited about joining. I'm a mama to just two bettas at the mo'; Pernell Roberts and Freddie, male and female respectively. I'm currently in the process of upgrading their tanks, and through the numerous trips I've been taking to Petco to get certain things, I couldn't help but notice a particular betta (of course) and I have fallen in love.

She's so adorable: white with a slight aqua flash on her fins, blue eyes, a single 'beauty mark' spot on her body and - get this - red lips. She's Marilyn Monroe in a fish, basically. I'm kind of in love with her. She's also very reactive, and enjoys interaction.

So what's the problem, right? Well, there's no question that I'd have snapped her up already had it not been for one thing. She has a strange red, webby 'vein' on her dorsal fin that I can't work out. It actually looks a lot like a fine broken capillary. I have no idea if this is an injury, illness, or even just her natural coloring, but since I'm so unsure it has me doubting buying her or not. If she had columnaris or something, I'd have bought her since I've treated stuff like that before and am confident with it. But this has me stumped, so I've come to you guys!

Does this sound like anything any of you have experienced before? I just can't be sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. <3

Bonus question! Does 3 females in a 5 gallon hex seem OK? Probably a bit tight, huh?
nleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #2 
Abby

Hey and welcome :)

A- could u possibly get a pic of her tail so we can see?

B- i have 3 girls in one 5gal and 4 girls in the other but my tanks are rectangles :)

C- we need *clears throat* LOADS of pics of ur fish :)

lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #3 
nleslie

She's at the store so I'm not too sure if I can, plus my mom who gives me a ride is quite sick of pet stores right now. The lady who works with the bettas is an acquaintance, though, so I'll definitely try!

Photos, definitely! ;D I'll try and get some up tomorrow, I'm really excited to show you all my new tanks.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #4 
Abby

ok cause it could just be a funny coloured ray :) my fish are all weird coloured lol and atm upsettingly are changing colours *mutters* Melvin, Cedric, Louie and Rayne
Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #5 
vaygirl

The only thing I've heard of that presents as red lines in fins is septicemia. But that comes with a very ill acting fish usually. If the fish is acting healthy and alert, I'd think coloring or something else. Pics would certainly help. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #6 
nleslie

I've been looking at pics of colors and types and she looks like a marble. She has this brownish red 'spray' all down her back, which I'm assuming is just coloring. I do NOT need any more fish, but I can't stand the idea of her sitting in that gross water any more. :\ (My poor mother, LOL.)
Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 PM   #7 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleslie View Post
I've been looking at pics of colors and types and she looks like a marble. She has this brownish red 'spray' all down her back, which I'm assuming is just coloring. I do NOT need any more fish, but I can't stand the idea of her sitting in that gross water any more. :\ (My poor mother, LOL.)
BOLD: sounds like redwash:
red wash on his fins (image off google.com)

RED:
try 17 (ive bought 19 bettas now and lost two :/) in three months
Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #8 
nleslie

Septicemia, hey? I googled it, and it kinda looks like the finer red webbing on the tail fins of this goldfish with septicemia:

Also a bit like this, I think?

Only it's just on one cluster on the dorsal. She is quite active, though; no trouble swimming, chases my finger, no clamped fins.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #9 
Abby

could just be colour then :)