Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #1 
peachesxo

I'm so silly... jeebus

Ugh, So i saw an empty 10 gallon tank just sitting by the garbage in the back of my apartment building on Sunday I think it was...

I wanted to take it, but I am pretty paranoid about used things, and to why it got there/they wanted to get rid of it, ect. so I didn't..

If it is still there today when I go home from work I will take it, but i doubt it will be. Derp. I am silly. SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THE OPPURTUNITY WHEN IT AROSE, shmraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

(Sometimes I wish i still lived at my moms because I would have room for like 10000000000000000 bettas instead of the limited space I have in my 520 square foot apartment. I could have like.. so many tanks there. BOO!)
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #2 
kathstew

Some people just get rid of the tank because their fish died, and they no longer want the fish.

I would try filling the tank up first, to see if it leaks. If it doesn't, empty it out and then start cleaning it. There's no point cleaning the whole tank out and then finding out it has a leak in it! Thats what I do when I find a used tank.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlakatFighter View Post
I'd put on some latex gloves before picking that thing up.... who knows what's been in there. Then buy yourself a green house and quarantine it. Spray it thoroughly with a whole can of Lysol, let it soak for about an hour or so, then wash it thoroughly wit a bottle spray consisting of 10% bleach and 90% water. After that get a friend(preferably one that doesn't have family members that cares alot about him/her) and tell him/her to lick the bottom of the bare tank. Put your tank back into your green house and set aside until tomorrow. The following day call your 'friend' on his/her cell phone and ask him/her how they are doing and if they feel nauseated or have a slight headache, assuming of course your friend is still alive and breathing. If said friend tells you she's feeling a bit sick and ask for you to take her to the ER, promptly tell her you'll be on the way ASAP. Now go make a quick stop at a hardware store and pick up a tarp(you will need this later). Upon arrival at your friend's house ask her to lie down on the couch. Then tell her you're going to her bedroom to grab a pillow for her. OK, here's the tricky part..... be very quiet as to not make any sound while cautiously approaching her. Now point to the window and tell her Big Foot is standing right there, while she's distracted, grab each end of the pillow and proceed to cover her mouth and nose with it until breathing slowly comes to a halt. OK, now that you're through with that step go back to your car and grab that tarp, the one you just bought at the hardware store, and wrap her up in it. You should know what to do next after this.

So ask youself........ Do you REALLY REALLY need that 10 gallon tank??

All kidding aside, maybe the tank is leaking therefore being tossed away?
You bother me sometimes with things like this. Just figured I let you know.

I know it seems silly, but young members may read parts of posts like this and do what it says- not licking it, etc, but using lysol and what not.

If its there, Id say go for it, check it for leaks in your tub for a few days, seal them if there are, then clean with either a mild bleach solution or white vinegar and water. Then dry for a few days, then repeat if youre paranoid...

I know youve got three new girls (right? derp, cant remember), so you could probably move some of them or your boys into it with dividers...You can have up to four in a long(er) 10 gallon, though three is best.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #4 
kathstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
You bother me sometimes with things like this. Just figured I let you know.

I know it seems silly, but young members may read parts of posts like this and do what it says- not licking it, etc, but using lysol and what not.

I agree. It kinda freaked me out. I honestly didn't know if you were joking as I read it until the end. Its not really that funny joking about killing someone...
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #5 
SomeDudeAtHome

^^^^^ I've actually used this method before and it works pretty well

Anyway, if it is still there the only piece of advice I'd take from the person above me is the latex gloves. After that give it a good scrub with vinegar, rinse with extremely hot water, let it soak, fill and let sit to see if there's a leak. If there is buy some aquarium silicone and patch it. It's real easy to do. If it's been sitting and dry for a while there's a very small chance that any bacteria managed to live on it from whatever was in there previously. Even if it did the cleaning would take care of it. And if you still don't wanna risk it clean it up and sell it for a little profit. I've done that before and if you sell it cheap (seeing how it didn't cost you anything to begin with) someone will most likely buy it fast.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #6 
Tomsk

Well?...was it still there?

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #7 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
Well?...was it still there?

Tomsk
won't be home for another 2 hours :(
there is something seriously wrong with me though.
i got my first betta in january when i moved out of my parents house because my mom wouldn't let me bring my cat, and at that point knew absolutely nothing about them. he died really quickly, he had bad bad finrot among other complications which i didn't even notice at the time.
i started doing research, got another (my sumo) and since then i have now aquired 5.
it's like crack.
i just want more more more more more.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #8 
peachesxo

kk im about to leave work and will be going thru the back of my building to see if the tank is still there !!!
ROAR !!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #9 
peachesxo

the tank was not there anymore =(
i don't really care about that but..
i just ordered 3 25w heaters for my rescue girls and there is no wat they are going to safely fit in their little tanks.. i didnt even bother turning them on =(

guess its off to petsmart tomorrow to waste more money in order to not waste the $100 i just spend on the 3 heaters

SIGH