Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #21 
roadrunner

There is something wrong wit your betta if he is not happy swimming around. If he could only tell you what's wrong. At this time you can only guess. Sometimes it can be simple thing like somewhere near by they were changing water pipes and some "crap" got into the water. One my bettas passed awau suddenly after water change. It looked almost like he was poisoned while other bettas were perfectly fine with the water from the same container. I've never figured out what went wrong.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #22 
LolaQuigs

I definitely don't doubt that there's something wrong with him, but I really don't think it's pH. Using chemicals to alter pH almost always results in an unstable, fluctuating pH, which is much more harmful than one that is a little high. Bettas are a hardy fish and will easily adapt to your pH; mine is around 8.0-8.2 and I've never had a problem. But that doesn't mean that the water's not the problem.. there are all kinds of things that could go on with your source water that they don't/can't test for at a pet store. Maybe you should try rain water (reverse osmosis would be best but whatever you do don't use bottled or filtered-the filtration removes essential nutrients), but whatever you try, it needs to be something you do consistently and full-time, to avoid shocking the fish. And definitely make s sure you acclimate him well if you do change your source water.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #23 
bahamut285

I second all the people who mentioned that your pH is fine. The pH at my apartment is pretty high as well (around 8) and my fish are totally fine.

Once again (self promoting) this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595

The only things I can think of that are killing your fish are:
- There was already something wrong with him at the petstore (My first betta died in 10 days because of this)
- There is something ELSE in your water that is unable to be tested at your LPS, such as high amounts of heavy metals

I know you already answered that you DON'T drink the water, but what do you use it for? Just general stuff like washing dishes/clothes/cleaning?

(Isn't it weird that people have water problems the day after I post this? Now I feel bad, wahaha)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #24 
ilovebunnies

I've posted this a lot so here it is. I've killed multiple bettas with the tap water. The water is very hard so we have to soften it using sodium chloride in the water softener. None of my fish or plants lived very long. The fish would seem fine for a week or two and then all the sudden be gasping for breath. Towards the end they look like they were having spasms. And yes I used dechlorinator so I think the problem was the sodium chloride. I have to buy bottled spring water for my fishes now and so far for two months my fish have been doing well.

I don't know if this is the problem you have but you might want to consider it.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #25 
bahamut285

@ilovebunnies: Sounds interesting...a bunch of others have had this similar situation. I know for sure the NaCl would absolutely wreck plants, and theoretically fish too.

Most water softeners have adjusters on them, maybe you could turn it down a little?

Mmmmmmm delicious research time!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #26 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@ilovebunnies: Sounds interesting...a bunch of others have had this similar situation. I know for sure the NaCl would absolutely wreck plants, and theoretically fish too.

Most water softeners have adjusters on them, maybe you could turn it down a little?

Mmmmmmm delicious research time!
Yeah, I asked my mom questions about the water softener and she has no idea about it, lol. I think it has to be running strong for our water cause without the water softener our house water comes out tinted brown. Our white clothes in the laundry end up looking dirty from all the rust in the water.

Some people were saying on the plantedtank.net that the outside hose water might not be treated with the water softener but my mom has no idea. You think she would know after putting in a $2000 system what it does. But she doesn't, so I just purchase bottled spring water.

I just wanted to let people know that this could be a potential problem for their fish. I want no more casualties.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #27 
Arashi Takamine

I second the Reverse Osmosis water. If your fish is having trouble and is just laying there I would lower his water level so he could breathe easier. Guys what about an eposm salt bath? Or using de-caffinated green-tea for the tannins? I could be wrong but doesn't that usually help perk a betta up a lot?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #28 
newbie32

Exclamation

Well, it's Monday morning and he's still alive. When I came into work he was laying so his head was on the gravel and his tail was kind floating in up in the air. He then had a freak out, swam to the top of the water to get a breath and then swam all topsy turvy back to the bottom. The swimming he was doing was quite strange. Spasm like. And now there appears to be a white ball attached to his gills on the left side. It's just the one. I can't really say that it looks fuzzy, but it's more than speck. So, I'm guessing fungus? Do I just get the fungus medicine they sell at Wal-Mart?

I don't use the water for anything in this town other than washing my hands after using the restroom. I don't live in the same town that I work in. The water in my town is MUUUUUUCH softer. I'm going to start phasing in my water if my betta will hold on a little longer.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #29 
newbie32

Scratch that, there appears to be more than one speck. Looks like one out of the left gill, one or two on a front fin under his head, one on a top fin and possibly one on his side. The one on the gill is quite large and kind of looks fuzzy. Maybe. The others don't though. Can I treat for both ick and fungus, or would that be unsafe?

I don't have a way to post a picture right now. All I have his the camera in my phone and I don't have a USB cord to hook the phone to the computer. I'll check to see if I can send a picture via Bluetooth.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #30 
newbie32

Ok, so no picture. My camera on my phone cannot pick up the spots. I have noticed that there are a couple of specks. And I got to thinking about it, perhaps what I thought was a hole in his fin is actually just a white speck. See, my gravel is quite white, so I figured it was a hole and I'm seeing the gravel color through it. Now I'm wondering if it's just a speck. I'm starting to suspect ick. Only the one spot looks kinds fuzz like. The rest are just specks. Any ideas out there? Treat for both? Treat for one? Do I do a water change? Can I just put the treatment in my 10 gal?