Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #1 
monroe0704

Possible Velvet Outbreak D:

So the girls have started flashing and scratching today... I shined a light on them and it is possibly velvet. ARGHH! I feel guilty infecting the new girls from Karen :(

Well, now for treatment. What has been your best treatment to fight Velvet? Something to note... I have Nerite snails in the sorority :/ I think I'm going to drop some Aquari-sol real quick in all the other tanks that don't carry snails. What should I do on the sorority? Should I pull out all the snails and keep them in a random empty tank for now?

Thanks!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #2 
monroe0704

FYI, I do water changes 2x a week in the 14 gallon, about 5 gallons or a little more each time. So I'm not entirely sure how this came to be... maybe the extra light the tank is getting now since I moved it by a window.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #3 
PewPewPew

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Im sorry to hear that, that really blows :c

I've been researching all manner of nasty diseases for a new thread on...diseases (could you guess? Ha.) And did this one on velvet. I used various sites for it and looked into it a decent bit to get the most info I could. I hope it can sorta help you :c

Velvet:
Velvet is a parasite, and one that is hard to see if youre not looking for it. This disease is HIGHLY CONTAGEOUS. To spot velvet, try using a flashlight and look for a goldish tint along the scales. Velvet is a parasitic infection which attacks the Betta's slime coat and is usually caused by poor water conditions and fluctuating or low temperatures for long amounts of time- usually under 72’. Regular water changes and an appropriate temperature that is stable is a good way to prevent velvet.
Symptoms: Coppery color “dust” on body, usually the head and gills, lethargy, clamped fins.
Treatment: To treat velvet, do a 100% water change and add 1tsp/gallon of aquarium salt to the tank with regular dosing and frequent water changes until you can purchase medications to treat the disease. Medications that are copper-based work well for this, including Coppersafe, Maracide, Malachite Green, and Aquarisol. When doing medicines with copper, frequent water changes are needed! Many medicines that work for Ich also work well on velvet; some will even say they treat both.
Please note that medicines with copper in them can kill invertebrates and plants, remove them from the tank before treating!
Since this is a parasitic infection, raising the tank’s temperature to 81-84’F will help speed up the parasite’s life cycle and make it easier and faster to treat (like Ich!). Keep the tank dark by leaving the lights off and covering it (though leave room to breathe) will also help get rid of them.

Id say use the aquarisol, because it apparently works well, and just remove the snails until you're finished or until enough large water changes have been made that you feel as though the medicine is no longer a threat.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
You probably already know this: No active carbon while dosing. Also, if you have an air pump, tubing, and an airstone, bubble wand, etc, you might place it in the tank. I like to add an air pump and an airstone when raising tank temperature out of normal tank temperature range. This gives extra water circulation and an increase in oxygen levels; As, increasing tank temperature will lower oxygen levels. Tank temperature increase may also require you to feed your fish a little extra because of their increase in metabolism. I am sure you will be carefully monitoring for any signs of stress. When I treat by raising tank temps, I raise temp no more than 2 degrees every 10-12 hours and look for any stress in the fish (behavior that is not normal, unusual). Your snails need to be placed elsewhere during treatment.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #5 
monroe0704

Thanks guys :) I had decided to remove the snails shortly after the post and started every tank of an Aquarisol treatment. I figure since caught it fairly early the fish will be just fine! There are no other symptoms besides the flashing so I think I caught it early on!

P.s. Thanks for pointing out things that you assumed I knew :) I did stop the one filter I had going, but maybe another poster wouldve forgotten this step. I like too much info vs not enough any day :D
Old 04-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #6 
vilmarisv

I agree that Aquarisol is the best option if you have it handy, you literarly see the ick fall off the fish! Love the stuff!
My suggestion is that once they are clear of the parasite, stop using the Aquarisol for a few weeks on those fish you medicated and then start using one drop per galon on your regular water changes.
I've only had one case of ick (no experience with velvet) and it was before I started using the medication regularly... and I'm pretty sure the fish was sick when it was shipped to me.
I hope they recover fast. Keep up updated with their progress.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #7 
monroe0704

Thanks Vil! It's amazing what 24 hrs will do when you start treatment early on. No more scratching today! :) Well at least from what I can see when I was changing their water. They're all still active and happy! I'll do this treatment for a few days, then check on the gold dusting... I am going to error on the safe side with this treatment since Velvet is so dang hard to see! I want to make sure it's mostly-all gone. Then I'll start incorporating Aquarisol with regular water changes. I had just found out about this and I'm glad I picked some up last week!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

I Hope things go well!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #9 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I am not sure what you meant by stopping the filter. If you think your carbon is active in the filter cartridge, than I would cut open the filter cartridge (carefully) and just remove the carbon. Place the (empty of carbon) filter cartridge back into the filter. Depending upon how high you are raising tank temp, you will want extra circulation in your tank. I don't know the brand of filter that you are using or the length of time your filter cartridge has been in your tank. The only time that I stop a filter is if I am going to disassemble the tank and re-cycle and of course unplug the filter and all of the other electrical items for normal maintanence.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #10 
monroe0704

The sorority is the one tank I use a filter on (and even then, it's used sparingly)... so it was easier for me to just stop it completely. I didn't want to mess with taking it apart lol