Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #11 
baylee767

Well they're in!

The poor things. When we went to the store there was a handful of sand for the cories to snuffle around in and a piece of driftwood. They had MANY types of cories in that tank (pygmy, albino, panda, juli...) And the guy just picked up the driftwood and tossed it aside because a bunch of pygmies were hiding under it. Dozens of cories were forced out of the driftwood, and the guy took a huge net and chased everyone around, it took him nearly 10 minutes to catch all 5. I have a feeling some of those cories are injured, but the ones I got aren't.

I floated the bag they were in in the tank while I was setting up the stuff for acclimation. Neon flared once and then ignored them. I rearanged the tank and took Neon out, acclimated the cories, put them in, put Neon in.

Neon nipped one, but ever since he's just ignored them. They seemed less active at first, but when they de-stressed they started darkening and swimming around a bit more. But I'm a bit worried about oone who is lighter than the others and only moves occasionally and half the time it's to breath. He's probably just more stressed than the rest, at least that's what I'm hoping. )=>
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #12 
baylee767

The healthy looking 4 are shoaling together. They are way more active than when they were in the pet store or pygmy cories in youtube videos 0.0 they are zipping around everywhere, swimming together in the middle of the tank them they'll split up some and start picking through the substrate with their barbles and gliding over plants and I think trying to pick off algae. Still Neon is ignoring them. That pale one will join the shoal sometimes but it still isn't quite up to the others. It's like it's a step behind in adjusting to my tank from the other cories. He likes to just sit on a leaf...

I read that they can have varying shades of color, though. If it stays lighter I might name it birch (saying "it" because they are too young to sex) the rest look exactly alike to me ^.^ Well, except one has a slightly ragged dorsal. I suspect that's the one Neon bit... and I also suspect it'll grow back and I wont be able to tell it apart. Until then I dub thee cory stumpy. Stumpy and Birch... And the three that I can't tell apart.

They're so interesting to watch. My little shoal is a bit small (I read in multiple places that 10+ is what makes them happiest) But I think they seem very happy. They just don't seem to ever stop moving ^.^
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #13 
shinybetta

Great! With pygmy corydoras I would add some more until you are 8. Also, in the beginning they will swim in the middle and top and act crazy for a few days. Then they will calm down.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #14 
Shayna09

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Great! With pygmy corydoras I would add some more until you are 8. Also, in the beginning they will swim in the middle and top and act crazy for a few days. Then they will calm down.
I don't know how different pygmy and albino corys are but I have had three albinos for the last month or so that still do that. They are not sick or hungry or anything and my three others stay on the bottom. Anyone know what's up with that?
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #15 
shinybetta

You should check those three albinos for disease. I have had one who did that, then he died. And I know someone who's entire school did that and they all died. I am not sure what it is, but I am sure you could find something online.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #16 
Shayna09

I'll google it and let you know. Thanks. But from personal experience with a decent amount of sick fish, these guys don't seem sick at all. They have voracious appetites, are always active, shoal together, etc. They just do it higher up in the tank. I will check it out though, thank you.
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #17 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayna09 View Post
I'll google it and let you know. Thanks. But from personal experience with a decent amount of sick fish, these guys don't seem sick at all. They have voracious appetites, are always active, shoal together, etc. They just do it higher up in the tank. I will check it out though, thank you.
If they are all active, seemingly healthy, and eating, I wouldn't worry. I have albino cories and they swim up higher too, sometimes up near the bettas. Especially during breakfast, they will try to steal a pellet sometimes. They are such fatties, I feed them their own food (and I see them eat it), and they want more! They're silly :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #18 
shinybetta

They may just be extra active, but I would keep an eye on them.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #19 
Capricorn

My cories do that in the morning before they get fed, but they're healthy otherwise. xD They're living with some honey gouramis right now.

I agree on getting a sinking carnivore or an omnivore wafer, they do need more than algae wafers! Mine eat everything they come across on the bottom, I have bandit cories myself, they're still fairly small. They love to cuddle with each other too, it's super adorable.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #20 
turtle10

I feed my cories the stable h20 tropical fish wafers from NLS, though sometimes I will add in a an algae wafer.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote