Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #1 
JessG

Water Softeners?

Does the salt from a household water softener make bettas sick? If so, how do you get around that?

Jess
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #2 
demonr6

I don't know what to tell you there. I have been using a 50/50 mix of water pre and post softener and none of the fish that I can tell have been affected in a negative way.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #3 
iheartmybettas

Our whole house is filtered and have never had an issue with it. It is the RainSoft system. I never really thought about it though. None of my fish have ever shown any signs of a problem. I haven't tried our RO water that comes out of the special faucet in the kitchen (mainly because it is so cold) if that is more what you are referring to though.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

I found when I was cycling my tank that the softened water and the drinking water are quite different in pH. My fish gets water from the drinking tap which I let sit for a day before doing water changes; I've had to warm some water to bring the temperature up so it's closer to the tank temp, but I don't use softened water in my tank.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #5 
bahamut285

It shouldn't affect the health of your fish, unless your water softener makes your water incredibly soft, and floods your water with Sodium/Potassium. (Which is also bad for house plants and watering your lawn)

I recommend checking out your water softener to see how soft the water actually is. You can also bring a sample of your water to your LPS and ask them to test it there. In my (self-promoted) thread, I talk about the ideal softness for Betta fish: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595

Bettas can handle "Soft" to "Very Hard". On the testing strips and liquid kits you purchase from stores, they range from "Very Soft" to "Very Hard", so if your water tests in the "Very Soft" zone, then I would be worried.

Some pet stores sell pillows that you throw into a bucket to change the Hardness of your water for you, perhaps you can look/ask for those :)

Best of Luck! I hope your fish gets well soon
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote