Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 
mywingedhorses

What kind of Cories should I add?

I'm still in the process of cycling my new 10 gallon tank but once it's done I'm planning on adding some tank mates and then introducing my betta. After doing some research I decided that cory cats seem like the best companions. What kind of cories do well in this size tank? They need to be kept in groups of at least four, correct? This is the fish tank I'm moving back and forth between college and home so I'm hoping they are a breed that won't get too stressed out by the trip. I'm not sure what types my LFS offers but I want to have a plan when I go.
mywingedhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #2 
naturegirl243

I have never actually had a corie but my personal favorites are the panda cories they are soooo cute!
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #3 
xswornxoffxjello

I had some cories once. They're cute little things. I had bronze, but I personally like albino. :)
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I have 4 peppered cories in my 5 gallon. They are adorable! The only problem I have had is trying to keep my betta from eating too many of the cories shrimp pellets!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

You'll want a smaller species in a 10 gallon so you'll have room for a decent number of them. Pygmy and dwarf cories are perfect if you can find them--you could fit five or six in your tank. If you can't find those (I couldn't...I guess it depends on what your lps/lfs stocks), then I recommend panda cories. They're not as small as dwarves or pygmies, but they stay smaller than most corydoras species. I have four in my ten gallon; they're really cute! There is a link in my sig to a video of three of mine playing. :)

They tend to be pretty sensitive though, so make sure you keep up with water changes, and use sand or fine/smooth gravel as substrate.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 04-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I have 4 peppered cories in my 5 gallon. They are adorable! The only problem I have had is trying to keep my betta from eating too many of the cories shrimp pellets!
Five gallons is too small for any fish tankmates, including cories. I'd recommend moving them to a 10g or larger as soon as you can. Snails and shrimp are really the only tankmates suitable for a 5g.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Five gallons is too small for any fish tankmates, including cories. I'd recommend moving them to a 10g or larger as soon as you can. Snails and shrimp are really the only tankmates suitable for a 5g.
woah! sorry typo. They are in my 10 gallon. Not my 5 gallon. I dont know why I typed 5 gallon... sorry sorry!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #8 
mywingedhorses

LolaQuigs, I saw the panda cories in your sig when I was still trying to decide what tank mates I wanted. They helped convince me to chose cories. :)

Thanks for the input everyone. Are there certain types of cories that aren't suitable for a 10 gallon?
mywingedhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #9 
Brook16

In addition to a 3-4 pygmy cories, is it too much to have a betta and a small school of harlequin rasboras in a 10 gallon tank?
Brook16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #10 
shinybetta

C. Habrosus, C. Pygmaeus, and C. Panda are the best for you. I would get 6-8 pygmaeus/habrosus, and 5 panda. Feed them sinking carnivore pellets and algea wafers, they also love bloodworms. Make sure the tank is clean and cycled/heavily planted. Don't isolate any corydoras, it will stress them out. They are also sensitive to salt and medication, so make sure it is corydoras safe.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote