Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #1 
LaniBaby

slime on plant/photo attached

Hi all,
I was moving apache to his new tank today and i noticed a weird slime on the fake plant. It appeared over night. The slime is ONLY on the plant that i took from his old tank, which he's been in for about 3 weeks now. I didn't rinse it off before moving it to the new tank. The new tank has new substrate, freshly cleaned everything, and is entirely brand new.There's a difference in the pH of both tanks. His old one is around 7, his new one is around 7.8. Anyone know what this stuff is? Is it harmful to him? I haven't moved him yet.
Thanks
Attached Images

LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I used to have quite a few fake plants with that slime stuff on it.
I don't have it anymore (mostly because I have real plants :P ), but in my experience it's not harmful to the fish. My guess is it's a culture of bacteria (the good ones) or just a natural slime that builds up on aquarium decoration over time.
I should note: It is very odd that it's that easy to see.

Don't take my word for it, though. Do some research if no one else on here knows what it is exactly.

You said it was in the old tank (with your fish, I assume)? How long have you had the plant?
Could help me help you figure out what it is.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 
LaniBaby

i took photos to my LFS and they said it wasn't harmful. Probably a slime that was on it from the old tank (had been in there 3 weeks) that just got unseated when I moved it to the new water. I rinsed it off and put the fishy in and he's been just fine. :)
thanks!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote