Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Is he having buoyancy problems...if so, Epsom salt (Not Aquarium salt) 1tsp/gal along with 100% water changes for 2 days and then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal for 7 more days along with the daily water changes to complete a 10 day treatment...this will also help with any fin problems too.....

It is best to treat in QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #12 
kuiopy

I have bad news. He didn't make it. I actually cried this morning over him. I feel so bad that I probably overfed him. I called my friend and then she came by and brought me a new betta. So, I guess I'm giving it another go.
I've soaked my tank with hot water and rinsed and soaked the plants in hot water. I bought new gravel for him and a thermometer. I'm still setting up his tank (from the old fish) is there anything different I need to do? Should I add aquarium salt or bettafix? I know to add water conditioner. And, what do I watch for in the fish so I can prevent a problem before it starts? Thanks, I need all the help I can get. I don't want to lose another fish. He has a bubbler. He doesn't have a filter though because his tanks only 3 gallons.
kuiopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss and good to hear you are not giving up......

In a 3gal unfiltered tank I would make twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100%

Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between the new and old water with water changes and always use a dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish...

Get a thermometer to monitor the tank water and the new water for the water changes to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range-you may need a heater to maintain the water temp...

Feed a good quality pellet type food in small amount several times a day...remembering that their stomach is about the size of their eye.....

Be sure and acclimate the new Betta to both water temp and water chemistry by adding small amounts of his tank water to him while in the pet shop container over about 20-30 min and toss all pet shop water...never add pet shop water to your tanks...

Good luck and look forward to hearing more about you new Betta and seeing some pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #14 
kuiopy

Thanks for the advice. I did all of that, actually I just added him to the tank. I floated him for 10 minutes than added some tank water to his cup, and repeated this three times. He seems happy swimming around. I got a thermometer and his tank is at 77degrees. I'll watch this too since is heater does't have a temp readout. Also, I got pellets to feed him instead of the flakes so I won't overfeed him. Here goes again.
kuiopy is offline   Reply With Quote