Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #1 
trono

Ghost shrimp eating Betta's tail

Un-effing-believable. I thought our Seņor was showing the first signs of fin rot, but I caught one of the stupid little ghost shrimp munching on his tail while he was sleeping at the bottom of the tank.

I was so angry I wanted to put them down the drain.

I ended up throwing them in the 1 gallon that was originally for Seņor. Seņor is now in a 10 gallon.

Anybody ever heard of this before? I didn't think they would ever do such a thing and wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

The picture isn't the best, but you can see that's it's frayed at the end.

(His tail is split because he snagged it on a plastic plant that we immediately replaced with silk plants.)
Attached Images

trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

I had one of my ghost shrimp do the same thing.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #3 
trono

What did you do about it?

I never would have bought the damn things if I knew there was even a remote possibility of that happening.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #4 
JKfish

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....t=lupin+shrimp

this explains the difference between true ghost shrimps and what you have... unfortunately there are some more agressive shrimps that look a lot like ghost shrimps and are sold under that label...

I would return them if possible :P
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #5 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Shrimp are excellent high protein snacks for bettas who need to grow & repair their fins!

^_^

Considering that they are attacking your fish however, I'd make sure the shrimp meet their maker before tossing them in.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #6 
JKfish

Actually.... HereFishy's suggestion is rather good... you could dispatch them humanely, cut them up and feed them to him as a few meals...
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #7 
shinybetta

That is NOT a ghost shrimp. It is a similar looking more aggressive shrimp. True ghost shrimp never attack fish.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

My shrimp was a true ghost shrimp and it still nipped and hung off my betta.(made a post here with photos of it because I was worried it wasn't)
Of course it died a few days later..so I believe they may have been sick when I bought them...They all died one by one..besides one..I only have one left in my 10 gallon and he is a nice little guy. He thinks he is a corycat.
Do you have any photos of the shrimp or can you get some? That may be helpful in finding out if it really is a ghost shrimp or not.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #9 
shinybetta

In your case they may have been very starved and and about to die.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #10 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Shrimp are excellent high protein snacks for bettas who need to grow & repair their fins!

^_^

Considering that they are attacking your fish however, I'd make sure the shrimp meet their maker before tossing them in.
Too late for that, they're already dead and disposed of. They didn't last long after I took them out of the 10 gallon tank. I don't think I'd want to risk feeding him live (or recently dead) food anyhow. They could have been diseased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
That is NOT a ghost shrimp. It is a similar looking more aggressive shrimp. True ghost shrimp never attack fish.
I wouldn't say it attacked the fish. It was stealing a snack while he was sleeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
My shrimp was a true ghost shrimp and it still nipped and hung off my betta.(made a post here with photos of it because I was worried it wasn't)
Of course it died a few days later..so I believe they may have been sick when I bought them...They all died one by one..besides one..I only have one left in my 10 gallon and he is a nice little guy. He thinks he is a corycat.
Do you have any photos of the shrimp or can you get some? That may be helpful in finding out if it really is a ghost shrimp or not.
I'll attach one. It's the only picture I have of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
In your case they may have been very starved and and about to die.
I don't think they were starved. They ate everyday when I fed the fish. Maybe they didn't think they had enough. *shrug*
Attached Images