Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #1 
xkatieebby

Biting his tail?

This is my boy that I am worried about, the picture makes it hard to see but even when I got him he looked like he had slight little bites out of his back tail. I'm not sure if they have gotten worse or not, but it's only his back fin. I don't know if this is biting or fin rot. He seems and behaves fine, but I don't want him to be getting sick.
He is in a 2.5 GAL tank and I do regular water changes with water conditioner to keep him happy.

Does anyone know what this is? If it's fin rot...How do I treat it?
If he is biting his tail...How do i get him to stop?

He is such a beautiful fish, I don't want his tail to be messed up.

By monday I will be switching him into a ten gallon tank, so hopefully he'll be more happy in there and things will be better.
xkatieebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #2 
xkatieebby

P.S. this picture was taken the night I brought him home when he was in him temp tank. So that was the start of everything if you can see little nubbies gone, I can't tell if they have gotten worse or not though.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #3 
iheartmybettas

Whether it is fin rot or tail bitting I would start an aquarium salt treatment to ensure it doesn't spread or the open wound doesn't turn into fin rot. So 1 tsp/gallon with 100% water changes for 10 days.

Are the edges of his tail black? That is usually a sign of fin rot. If they just look torn then probably tail bitting. Are any of his plants plastic or any potentially rough decor? Plastic plants are fine if they are soft plastic but rough ones can demolish a bettas tail. I have 2 tail bitters right now and am trying to figure out what the heck to do for them. Its always the halfmoons for me. I'm thinking their back fin just starts to irritate them so they give themselves a trim.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 
xkatieebby

Mines a CT. And the plants in his tank are all soft. Ran the panty hose over them. :P But his tail doesn't look black, just like he bit it. He acts normal too. Always sporadic, and happy. Comes to the front of the tank to see me when I come in the room. So it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong. Just bugs me personally because he is so pretty. Would the salt make him stop biting?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #5 
iheartmybettas

No the salt won't make him stop. He is ripping his tail off so the fin has exposed tissue that needs to heal fast before an infection/fin rot sets in. That is what the aquarium salt will prevent.

He could be bored. Maybe add some extra plants and hiding places. Give him lots of attention. Put a mirror in front of him for a few minutes a day. There are a lot of reasons why they bite their tails and it can be frustrating to get them to quit. You just have to find what works and there is a chance nothing will work. That's what is frustrating!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #6 
xkatieebby

At least it's just tail bitings. My dal doesn't do it. He is just fine. Long beautiful tail. He is bigger so I think he's older than my CT. My CT is so small, I think he is still young, you think maybe that is a part of it? Isn't the salt bad for them since they are freshwater fish?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #7 
xkatieebby

My sister has the exact same tank setup as mine as well and her HM doesn't. Idk what the issue is, but I'm moving him into a 10 GAL on monday so hopefully that'll help. More objects and stuff.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #8 
iheartmybettas

If you use salt for a long time then yes it is bad. It is good to treat illness or wounds if treated no more than 10 days. His exposed tissue from biting his tail would count as a wound.

It is hard to pinpoint why they tailbite.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #9 
xkatieebby

Well see, hopefully things get better soon.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #10 
xkatieebby

Thank you though.