Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Arrow New and First Straight-From-Thailand Fish, kinda worried

Well, I had no luck finding answers by searching the forums, and shoot that I have to go to work now, so sorry if I mislepp things and dont make sense

Got a new betta fish, a Cellophane HM named Revenant from Thailand. (Newbettas was the seller, if this helps anyone)

I figured he'd be acting a little derpy and inactive for a bit because of the halfway-around-the-world trip, but him being my first from thailand i can't help but be worried.

I have him in a QT atm, his new tank (2.5 gal, lighhtly planted, sand and rock-covered bottom (is that fine?? I mean, the sand?) is still getting cycled as I don't completely trust the sand yet even though I washed it like mad... ANYWAY he's sitting in a QT floating in the divided 10 gal tank by Jade and SilverSand... Jade flared at him once or twice, but doesn't mind him otherwise because Revenant's not moving much.
He sits at the bottom, goes up for air... his morning I saw him sitting VERY STILL at the top of the water on his SIDe! D8 So I tapped the glass lightly and he straightened up... was alive! (8D), but floated on his side again shortly after.

I put in a few drops of Betta Revive in his QT water to fight off any general diseases/parasites he may have (which a few drops is less than the tiny jar says you should put in, but since hes prolly just stressed, I didn't want to completely medicate him... sorta like giving him antibiotsic)

Btw, tank water is at ~80'F, so since his QT is flosting in it, his water's the same temp.

Will be back later to post pictures of him and environ, responses will be appreciated, thanks!
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Well, I had no luck finding answers by searching the forums, and shoot that I have to go to work now, so sorry if I mislepp things and dont make sense

Got a new betta fish, a Cellophane HM named Revenant from Thailand. (Newbettas was the seller, if this helps anyone)

I figured he'd be acting a little derpy and inactive for a bit because of the halfway-around-the-world trip, but him being my first from thailand i can't help but be worried.

I have him in a QT atm, his new tank (2.5 gal, lighhtly planted, sand and rock-covered bottom (is that fine?? I mean, the sand?) is still getting cycled as I don't completely trust the sand yet even though I washed it like mad... ANYWAY he's sitting in a QT floating in the divided 10 gal tank by Jade and SilverSand... Jade flared at him once or twice, but doesn't mind him otherwise because Revenant's not moving much.
He sits at the bottom, goes up for air... his morning I saw him sitting VERY STILL at the top of the water on his SIDe! D8 So I tapped the glass lightly and he straightened up... was alive! (8D), but floated on his side again shortly after.

I put in a few drops of Betta Revive in his QT water to fight off any general diseases/parasites he may have (which a few drops is less than the tiny jar says you should put in, but since hes prolly just stressed, I didn't want to completely medicate him... sorta like giving him antibiotsic)

Btw, tank water is at ~80'F, so since his QT is flosting in it, his water's the same temp.

Will be back later to post pictures of him and environ, responses will be appreciated, thanks!
How long did you allow him to acclimate and adjust? Thai water is VERY different from yours, so it is essential that you gave him a longer than usual time to adjust. Im a little confused as to if hes in his baggie still or not...

If he has not been removed from the baggie, please open it and allow new, fresh air in. Add a bit of the new water every 15 minutes for about an hour or two, considering he isnt well.

If he is in the new water and you did not acclimate him for very long, he might be unwell from a sudden change. I got a fish from Louisiana (Im in NY) and I still allowed him to have adecent amount of time to adjust.

He needs and needed to be left in the dark for a while. allow him to be in a DARK, like, no light tank for a bit. Do not feed, do not over medicate.. I doubt he is ill so much as extremely stressed out. 1tsp/gallon of AQ might help him, as would IAL or DECAF green tea mixed with tank water to lightly* tan the water. Mind, he's probably lived in that his whole life until now, too.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #3 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Thai water is definitely different from ours.... X__x (I remember when I accidentally drank some from the faucet(sp?) when I was last there. No chlorine like ours, but bleh. |D )
I put him in one of those tank-thingies that most petstores use to transfer fish from their tank to the bags. I put a little of his new water in with his water, (and of course he gulped the fresh air like mad, lol)... and I did add a little at a time. It's possible that I added it a bit too fast, though I tried not to.

It was dark when I got him, so I'm glad I didn't have him in tank light. (I usually keep the light on during the day... simulate daylight hours and such.)
But I did give him one or two worms... >> He ate it, but I gave him nothing more after that.
And I don't have any IALs, but I'll see if Mayai has any of that tea.

Mostly what he's doing now (since I'm finally off work D> ) is what he did when I left. He's swimming upright again, but staying at the top, sucking up air every now and then.
And blankly staring at me.
Jade is still swimming around like the king he is, and yet still paying little to no attention to Revenant.

Also will post pictures of his new tank, as well... still wondering about the sand I have in there. <<
Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #4 
peachesxo

Acclimating a betta that has just come from Thailand takes MANY MANY hours. Lots of people will take 6-12, sometimes even 24, from what I've heard, but I have never gotten a fish from Aquabid or anything so i don't really, really know.

All i know is you need to do it over a very long period of time, not like a betta from a LFS that can take 20 minutes to an hour to safely acclimate..
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Well, yeah, I didnt just take an hour. And he's not really in a big container, either, so it's not hard to fill. I'm not planning to put him in his tank until he perks up with any water he's in now.
Which reminds me that a small water change is probably called for...
Old 04-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #6 
BlakbirdxGyarados

He's perked up a bit more now, especially while I was changing his water.
(I don't like doing 100% water changes... not unless I can test the water to show that the chemistry is close, too... So I don't put him (or any other fish) in pH shock or anything. :P )
I've changed half this morning, changed another half a few minutes ago.
His water is now completely non-medicated, he's sitting in a cup to acclimate to the same temperature as his own sanctuary, and already he's looking around at the new environment.

I'm still curious about something.

He seems to love keeping air in his stomach... and when he releases bubbles from his mouth, he sinks, so he rushes to the top to gulp up huge amounts of air. (Well, I'm assuming huge gulps, but he has the biggest lips I have ever seen on a betta, lol)
After that, he floats right-side up at the top.

In this transition to his tank (which is 2.5 gal drum-bowl, at a constant temp of 80'F by the way), he's floating less, sooo... maybe it's just something he was doing in that QT he was in the past two days?

And what exactly is SBD. I mean, Swim Bladder Disease, but the symptoms...?
I'm just curious.
I'm super worried about my new betta's well-being... I'll worry a lot less when I've had him for a month and know him better.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #7 
Pekemom

How are things going today?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #8 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Well, I've been watching him a lot for the past few hours (he sits on my desk behind my laptop, so it's easy to stalk him, lol), and sometimes I see him hanging around the top, other times I see him slithering around the plants, heater, and decor, just looking at all the new things. Right now, he's staying at the surface.
Tomorrow after work I'm going to do a 50% water change (the tap water needs to sit for a while, obviously).

Here's a few pictures of him, too (just to show him off a bit):

When I first got him:

Throwing up bubbles, lol (biggest mouth, srsly):

Flaring at Jade (only did it once, when Jade flared at him):

When I first put him in his new tank:

(This shows his giant lips) from above, what he's doing now:

And his haunted house:
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #9 
Pekemom

He's beautiful!! Love his elegant finnage! Lots of good luck with him...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #10 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Thanks, Pekemom! :D
The pictures don't do him justice. He's actually way more transparent in his body that what I posted. Which is why I love him so <3

Even if he does have that derpy spoony-head thing going on. |D