Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #1 
thatgirl

What are y'alls experience with ghost shrimp?

I've been looking them up online and they said that they could live up to 2 years! That seems like a long time. I was thinking about getting one for my tank. How much do they cost?? Are they good to have?

Thanks!
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl View Post
I've been looking them up online and they said that they could live up to 2 years! That seems like a long time. I was thinking about getting one for my tank. How much do they cost?? Are they good to have?

Thanks!
They are 33 cents each at my local fish store... I bought 6 ...1 died the first day. One took a ride on my fishes back with his pinchers. I freaked out and took them out of my tank..but I felt bad for them so I added them back to my 10 gallon..Then slowly one by one the 4 died..I only have the one left but he is lively and cute! I believe he thinks he is a corycat..He loves to follow them around.I plan on getting a few more for my other tanks.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #3 
Cassandra90

I have 5 in my ten gallon with my male betta and 3 cory cats.
They help keep the tank clean, but some reason I find them dying too. I really don't think it is the fish, I never see them attack a shrimp.

They are $0.33 for me too at my petsmart near me. I would say you could buy a few like 3 and see how it goes. They say they are easy to care for but in my case they seem to die off easy.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #4 
trono

I posted a topic about my experiences. I originally bought 5 and 2 of them died for seemingly no reason in the first 2 weeks. Then I found the smallest one dining on my betta's tail and removed all of them immediately and put them in a 1 gallon bowl. All 3 died within a day of being in the bowl. I'm not sad though. That's what they get for trying to make a snack out of my precious betta.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #5 
JackisLost

I get them 8 for a dollar. Initial first day die off was 6, left with 2. One week later they died.

Then I tried red cherry shrimp. Started with 5 a few weeks ago, now I have 5 and a gazillion babies.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackisLost View Post
I get them 8 for a dollar. Initial first day die off was 6, left with 2. One week later they died.

Then I tried red cherry shrimp. Started with 5 a few weeks ago, now I have 5 and a gazillion babies.
I want to try cherry shrimp but I haven't been able to find them anywhere around here!
Where is everyone getting cherry shrimp?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #7 
shinybetta

Ghost shrimp are great! They are very interesting to watch interact with my other fish and invertebrates. I have 3 that have been alive for almost a year now. They only cost 33-66 cents. I would buy five for a ten gallon.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #8 
Newtonbetta

We have been thru about 10 of them in various betta tanks. They are all gone. The bettas would stalk them and summarily pick them off one by one. They would literally harrass the shrimp to death. Didnt have any that lasted more than 3 months. Luckily, they're inexpensive.
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #9 
thatgirl

I ended up getting 2 of them! They are reallllyyy cute! Dolye chases them around for a little bit then lets them be. I think that he kind of hunts them though. :/ I've noticed that he just sits there without moving any fins and just stares at them. Is that normal? Here's a picture of one eating:
Attached Images

thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #10 
scootshoot

They have short lifespans (1 year average) so if you want them around, have the guy/gal @ the LFS catch you the smallest ones. Ghost shrimp also molt as they grow, shed their exoskeleton (think of snakes), they are at their most vulnerable during this time and are probably the primary cause for some of their deaths.

In planted tanks they hard to spot. I *should* have 10 or more shrimps but I only see 3 come to the front during feeding, so who knows? The smallest shrimp I purchased 3+ months ago whom I thought would not survive is still doing quite well and is spotted daily during food drops.

Here is one of mine chilling...obvious female, green gunk at her abdomen are eggs.
Name:  263.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  111.0 KB

Last edited by scootshoot; 04-03-2011 at 05:29 PM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote