Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #11 
PewPewPew

Instead, put him in a ziplock baggie and bob that way.

My goodness....He's so thin and ratty :c Has he always looked this way? This will seem very odd, but what does his poop look like? Is it white and stringy?

Im at a loss on this...Please contact Oldfishlady (via the search/advanced/members) she might be able to diagnose better. Im thinking maybe parasites, since hes so thin and is lethargic :c

Btw, is his tank always so bare? They like to hide and swim around stuff, for the future.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #12 
Goomba3

Oh no! That is very sad. I have nothing of use to add, just my support that I hope he pulls through. Good luck.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #13 
LonelyPilgrim

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Instead, put him in a ziplock baggie and bob that way.

My goodness....He's so thin and ratty :c Has he always looked this way? This will seem very odd, but what does his poop look like? Is it white and stringy?

Im at a loss on this...Please contact Oldfishlady (via the search/advanced/members) she might be able to diagnose better. Im thinking maybe parasites, since hes so thin and is lethargic :c

Btw, is his tank always so bare? They like to hide and swim around stuff, for the future.
No, he looked really splendid when I first got him:

I was at PetSmart tonight and looked at the different medicines, and they tried to sell me on several of them. Apparently they don't hurt if they don't work. I may go back and try some tomorrow.

I talked to a man there who was very knowledgable about fish, and he told me to bring back a sample of Ozzy's water to test it. He did, and said all of the levels (pH, ammonia, hardness/softness, etc., nitrates, nitrites) were nearly perfect, one of the best tests he'd ever seen.

I bought some gravel and redid his big bowl, putting the heating pad down under the substrate and adding an ammonia meter. I moved him to fresh water in the small bowl. He seemed to be swimming around for a few minutes, but now he's on the bottom looking pathetic again, flopping his fins like he can't swim.

I'm going to move him back to the big bowl before I go to bed. And then first thing in the morning I'm going back to PetSmart for medicine.

Operation: Save Ozzy, Part IV by LonelyPilgrim, on Flickr

I'll contact Oldfishlady. Thank y'all so much for your help.
LonelyPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #14 
PewPewPew

Hope things work well. Dont buy bettafix, though. It does more harm than good..
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #15 
LonelyPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
His poop, when I have seen it, is brown and little and roundish. But I haven't been noticing a lot lately.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

Hm... Alright. This is perplexing... Typically, with internal parasites, they poop out white stringy poops.

I hope things work out :c <3
Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #17 
LonelyPilgrim

Thank you.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #18 
turtle10

BTW, don't rely on the ammonia meter to tell you when to change the water. You should still change the water as much as PewPewPew said.

My advice is to try aquarium salt and clean water before trying medicines. He is already in a weakened state and strong medication could just wear out his kidneys.

Also I suggest getting a plant so he isn't so stressed by the big empty space.

Good luck!
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #19 
vaygirl

I agree he looks very thin. If his poops are normal, it's possible he's just not eating enough and is too cold. I agree with Pew's advice and contacting OFL. Once he's feeling better, try to get him off flakes and on pellets. Or, if you can spring for them, frozen bloodworms. You can find them at most fish stores (including Petsmart) in the freezer. No betta on the planet can resist them and the extra protein helps them heal. Good luck with your little guy! I hope he gets better!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #20 
LonelyPilgrim

Operation: Save Ozzy, Part V by LonelyPilgrim, on Flickr

Ozzy looking pathetic this morning. Can anybody help me diagnose him? Notice the whiteness/grayness especially around the lower part of his mouth. I'm about to head back to PetSmart; what can I get?