Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #1 
DormDrax

Desi we hardly knew ye... ALSO UPDATES OF MY TANK!

This should be in memorials but... Desi wasn't a Betta... plus it was mysterious.

ALSO yeah just scroll past the death thing here and you can get to my little updates...

*Opens Scroll while wearing a black veil*

Desi the chocolate/blue striped snail was a simple snail...
Only wanting to be on the glass and eat the brown algea...
Was found today laying in the Horn-wort... partially shriveled and falling out of their shell.
BUT... *Beats fist on tank* Desi's Snaily Spirit shall live on! With her three (That I've seen, who knows how many I haven't) children shall live on!
Each one I have named!
Inni, the blue/gray... whose smaller than your pinky nail.
Minni, whose black-ish and... smaller than a pencil eraser.
and ... oh yea Poor Tinni... the Amber snail whose life was the hardest.
Tinni was accidently sucked up the gravel vac and poured into a vase of vines months ago. Without water changes, and the plants sucking any minerals away... his shell has been clear and cracked... he was spotted just weeks ago by who more than my mother when she was brushing her teeth in the bathroom and swore something in the window vase was moving. I was scolded for being so evil and was told to put the 'Poor Thing' back in the tank where he has recovered ever since. Where he used to pull his shell along behind him like some sick patient he has been a glutton and been doing nothing but eating algea and creating little spirals of trails along the glass. He has been attacked by the ghost Shrimp and survived, he has been thrashed by the mighty Betta! And survived only by his will to carry on his mothers name! Tinni Desi!

*UPDATES*

*Yanks off Veil*
Ok enough of the poetic depression, hope you snail lovers liked it haha...
Presently Inni is on the cave in a niche, at night he's on the Kyoto grass munching.
... I haven't seen Minni in ages, though she hangs around under the rim of the tank.
Tinni is on the horn-wort.

AHEM

What I ask is how did it happen... could it have been age? Desi wasn't that big. Only had her 3 months.

Salting? Don't even... I LIGHTLY salt the tank on FULL water cleans, which is maybe... 1 TSP per Epsom 10gals. And thats how it's always been.

Temp? Tanks is always a constant 75.

Corpse? Looked alive, until I turned her over and noticed she was shriveled... only had been probably 12hrs since her death she had been on the glass yesterday.

Tank? Today I did a full cleaning... I've got a HUGE Brown Algae problem! I wiped as good as a could with a NEW unused ok for tank sponge and wiped it as best I could.

Where did I put the pets? *Snickers* I carefully lower the water to about 4 inches then clean it with warm water NO SOAP and treated warm water, to clean the glass. Then I use the low water to remove anything I couldnt with the vac or... my trusty bent coat hanger (SERIOUSLY! A bent coat hanger is the best thing to fish out dead plants or to gently move things!) then I slowly... by using the vac slowly fill the tank back up so no one stresses out. No really Drax doesn't stress, he doesn't like it... but he doesn't like panic like he used too. He knows now it's only temporary and that fresh clean water is on the way.

Plants? Horn-wort is the biggest pest... but I love it haha. I have removed the submerged vine fully now... *Wipes away tear* Now the tank is fully aquatic.

Drax??????? HOW IS HE?!??
He's fine He's Fine! No Really!
*Throws Salt at everyone*
HEY GUESS WHAT! HIS EYE IS NORMAL! NO I'M SERIOUS!
Almost like the old fable of 'A watched pot never boils!' I forgot to do a cleaning for 2 weeks and almost forgot about the tank... MIDTERMS PEOPLE! And then... maybe I clean TOO much and stress him... because now before and AFTER (I was VERY gentle with this cleaning took nearly 3 hours) his eye is... normal! *Throws Confetti* Well not normal like he can see... it's still clouded but it's not bulged anymore! WOOHOOO!

GhostShrimp? HOW THEY DOIN?! DID DRAX EAT THEM!?
Nah I think I have more than a dozen now! I keep spotting REALLY little ones keeping too the nooks and crannies and being timid. So one of the eggs must have survived hatching! Seriously all of my females are almost ALWAYS carrying eggs! YEESH! Bout time some results came out of it... yeah I know if you want to breed them you move them to a seperate container... but I wanted nature to take it's course in my tank and BOOM it has!

*Bows*

I'll TRY to get pictures soon but my camera is being stupid and the SD card is not being accepted.

Other than the Sad Death of Desi, the tank is doing wonderful!

*Seems to have something else to say*
Nope nope... well... there IS this eerie little thing on Drax's tail... NO! NO NO! Not till I get pictures haha I'm not spending an hour describing what could be nothing haha.

Have a nice night!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #2 
ilovebunnies

Great to read an update from you. I was wondering what happened to bettafish.com soap opera ;D

P.S. Where are the pictures??? lol
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebunnies View Post
Great to read an update from you. I was wondering what happened to bettafish.com soap opera ;D

P.S. Where are the pictures??? lol
*Whips with long length of Hornwort he just removed from the tank (Seriously that stuff grows faster than Anacharis!)*

In time... in time...

Ok I'll confess....... NO He's not dead! *Ahem* Well Drax's tail is... I don't know, just looking funny, and he has been acting very peculiar lately and has these little white dots just a few, one under each eye I swear they actually just look like scales, and they arn't fuzzy-ish like... dare I say... ICH.

I keep thinking if I post pictures of him you all might throw a fit saying I did something haha... which I know you wouldn't since I'm still kinda new to this, and I know for a fact it isn't Velvet or finrot or any of the other horrid ailments I've read about on this site.

Odd thing is... he's just been slowly getting very aggressive lately, he (Even after I feed him) he bashes the poor shrimp so they drop any food they have and eats it himself then swims around actively eating ALL THE FLIPPING PELLETS! Yeah I know they eat like pigs but he never used to do this. He'd eat first, then the shrimp. He's just becoming a bully, and it's unnerving.

Plus, not like I can capture that in photos... plus... these little things that seem wrong just do NOT show up with my camera. But... *Sigh* I'll try again later...... also I'm so embarrassed to admit it and part of the reason for no pics is that my two banana plants in the tank are dying... or being eaten alive by the snails....... plus I have a major brown algae problem.

anyway I'll post SOME of the better photos I get later. *Sips Tea*

I just don't see what I could be doing wrong, clean water, good constant temp, water tests are good, proper feedings... well... as I said above... sorta.... nothing decaying, light salting of Epsom. I dunno... plus I'm so busy. But yeah pics tonight... so... everyone check back in about oooh... maybe 8hrs.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

I don't understand why you are using Epsom Salt so often?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #5 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Odd thing is... he's just been slowly getting very aggressive lately, he (Even after I feed him) he bashes the poor shrimp so they drop any food they have and eats it himself then swims around actively eating ALL THE FLIPPING PELLETS! Yeah I know they eat like pigs but he never used to do this. He'd eat first, then the shrimp. He's just becoming a bully, and it's unnerving.
You got him when he was still relatively young.

Drax is just growing and maturing, probably starting to hit his sexual peak age for fish and showing off his adult personality.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Drax has hit puberty. XD. Btw, epsom salt is for bloating and the like, it shouldnt be used/in the tank all the time. :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #7 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Drax has hit puberty. XD. Btw, epsom salt is for bloating and the like, it shouldnt be used/in the tank all the time. :D

*Facepalms*
Noted...