Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #1 
kuiopy

My Betta isn't doing well

I just got my betta five days ago. I went to a good pet store and picked the healthiest looking fish they had. For the first two days he ate really well and swam beauifully. For the pas thre his fins have been clamped and he sits on the bottom of his aquarium. He has a three gallon aquariuim with a heater and airator. He looks sick. I've examined him and he has no ulcers or white spots. I bought betta fix and have treated him for two days. What else can I do to help him?
kuiopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

Could you provide more info? What temperature is his tank heated to, how much/what do you feed, have you done a water change yet, if so how much, what additives/conditioner do you normally use? A picture would also be helpful!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #3 
kuiopy

fish is worse

I don't know how warm the water is because the heater doesn't have a temp. reading. Its supposed to keep the water at a "contant" 78 degrees. I feed him bettamin tropical medley but he hasn't ate in a few days now. At frist, he loved the stuff. I did a 25 percent water change two days ago and use 'prime' water conditioner. Should I do a bigger water change? Also, I'm sad to say this but he looks really bad today. I thought he was dead at first so I shook the tank a bit and he can barely swim. He has his head on the gravel and his body floats upwards. It may be too late for him. But, what did I do wrong? I've had three bettas now, and none lived for very long. Could they catch something from using the same tank? After this guy, I think I'm giving up on bettas.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #4 
iheartmybettas

The water is probably cold because those preset heaters generally don't work in my experience. You should go by a thermometer at Walmart. They are less than $2. Plus when you do water changes the water you add needs to be within a couple of degrees. I don't really see how you could be sure that it is without a thermometer. For a 3 gallon if you guy was totally healthy you would need to change the tank once 50% and once 100% each week. Since he isn't acting well I would say do a bunch of 100% water changes. Chances are you got a sick betta from the get go probably from sitting in his cup from the store that most likely was full of ammonia which makes water quality and temperature even more crucial. You need to get his water around 78-82 degrees.

Last edited by iheartmybettas; 04-01-2011 at 10:03 AM.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #5 
kuiopy

I did a 50 percent water change, and my fish still looks really bad. i didn't add any bettafix because i thought it might be hard on him? His body is floating upwards as his head lays on the gravel, he's still breathing. Is there anything I can do to help him?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #6 
iheartmybettas

Honestly I would have done a 100% water change. How long have you had him and how many times have you changed the water? What % do you change when you do change the water?

Don't use bettafix! Get a thermometer so you can find out if you need a new heater!

Like I said he may have been sick from the store and there may not be a whole lot else you can do but keep him comfy (warm) and with clean water.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Don't give up....as posted he may have been sick to start.....

How many days have you had him and how did you acclimate him to the tank when you first got him and added to the new tank?

Right now....if he came in a plastic cup-I would use that for a QT container and float it in the heated tank to maintain the temp...get a thermometer and suggested so you can monitor the water temp both in the tank and for the water changes
Start making 100% daily water changes in this QT container with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for the next 10 days (stop the bettafix) and maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range...offer small amount of food on day 3 and if he eats feed 2 times a day small amounts

Good luck and keep us posted....and don't give up even if he doesn't make it....we can help you be successful.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #8 
kuiopy

I've been reading about betta health stuff online, and I think he's got swin bladder disease. He's showing the signs and one reason for it is constipation. He ate like a pig when I first got him- maybe I overfed the little guy and now he's full of poop. I also read that their aren't any meds for it. Is there anything I can do for this?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #9 
kuiopy

Okay, I read that I should make his tank shallow so he can breathe easier. I emptied it to prob about 3/4 of a gallon (just so his heater is submerged) and will change most of it in the morning. He does seem to be breathing easier. Also I shook his tank a little to get him riled so he would breathe better- is this bad to do? Anyone know anything about swim bladder stuff?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #10 
kuiopy

Another note, his belly isn't bloated at all- but he acts like he's got it.