Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 01:20 AM   #1 
Shayna09

Question Using Cycled Water

Alright so I have a question. Normally, when I changes any of my male Betta's water I fill up a bucket, let it sit for a few hours to hit room temperature, add water conditioner, and then do the switch (along with cleaning gravel, plants, etc.) Sometimes after I do the changes one or another of my fish get kind of lazy, don't swim much, stop making bubble nests, stop eating for a few days, etc. They always bounce back but I was wondering, if I did a 25% water changed in my aquarium with my other fish and a bunch of live plants, then let the filter run for a few hours and sucked back another 25% or so out of the tank, could I use it to use for my male Betta's water changes? Would it be beneficial to my males or would it just stress them out "smelling" other fish in their water? I was just thinking because that water is kept in a very good balance.... someone let me know! Thanks!
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #2 
SomeDudeAtHome

I wouldn't recommend it just because it isn't clean water. Even though you would've just done a water change it doesn't mean that the water you're taking out is clean. It could be just as bad as the bettas water. Also the fact that you could transfer some type of parasite without knowing it is a big risk. I'm guessing you keep your bettas tank at room temperature because you let the new water sit but I just want to double check? You also said you use conditioner, which kind is it? And have you tested your tap water for anything weird? I know mine as .25 ammonia in it.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #3 
Shayna09

No I don't use a heater but my tanks are all 2 1/2 gallon on my fireplace mantle so they are always nice and toasty warm (we don't use the furnace much, the fireplace is cheaper LOL).

I use Nutrafin Betta Plus conditioner and I bought a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle a few days ago. This morning was my first tank change using the Cycle and Titan is blowing bubbles already so I think that does the trick.
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote