Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #1 
baylee767

Exclamation FAST cycle!

Wow. Last time I tried to cycle my tank, there were problems for months.

Wendsday I completely cleared it out... substrate switched out, water drained, decor washed, tank scrubbed. Friday I have:

Ammonia, about .3

nitrite, .25-.5

nitrate, 5

I'm going to be doing a small 2 gallon water change (don't want to kill that bacteria) But I am honestly amazed I have nitrates so soon.

Then again, I did seed it with the biowheel.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

I keep a penguin100b wet all the time just for seeding.

Neighbor used it last week.

My record for "cycled" was an Emperor 280. I wet the wheel using hot epsom salt water then let it cool and poured a bottle of well shaken tank water and fish food through it by hand. Let that dry and then poured a bottle of bacterial starter culture (TLC) through it and stuck it in the filter on the tank.

Never saw ammonia or nitrite, nitrate climbed regularly.

Can't garuntee this will work but its nice to know you can "emergency start" filters this way. Bought a guy at the LFS the culture and a bottle of fry flake for a 350b he just bought and he never called the LFS to complain.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #3 
baylee767

The levels were the same again today (so I did another water change) But before that the only difference was my nitrite was 1. So that's spiking.... I hope this spike gets by quickly so my Betta stays safe. I tried to do 2 gallons in my water change and only managed 1 and a half. /=> These levels are a bit high, but I think Neon can handle it.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #4 
Thunderloon

Betta can survive 1.0ppm Amonia and 1.0ppm nitrite almost indefinitely. Just keep it down around there and make sure the water gets air and he'll be fine.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #5 
Abby

personally i prefer the fishless cycle. yeh it takes 3 or so weeks but i use that time to quarantine new fish and make sure they arent carrying anything nasty
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #6 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
personally i prefer the fishless cycle. yeh it takes 3 or so weeks but i use that time to quarantine new fish and make sure they arent carrying anything nasty
^^Excellent advice that would save a lot of new fish-owners the frustration of breaking in a fish + tank at the same time.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermin View Post
^^Excellent advice that would save a lot of new fish-owners the frustration of breaking in a fish + tank at the same time.
Agreed, plus you can let it roll naturally. Use straight tap water into the tank on fishless and let it decay on its own, sterilizing the filter and tank thoroughly.

I always sterilize equipment before I use it.