Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #11 
alexndra00

Oh, forgot to say, the temperature is 84
alexndra00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #12 
alexndra00

Sadly, it is usually fatal, though I and others have had success treating it with medicines containing metronidazole and epsom salt baths.

>>>can you tell me the best way and duration of the salt baths? I started doing them for 10 minutes two times a day but then read they have to be more often. Could you clarify?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #13 
DarkMoon17

No problem. I actual meant to say Maracyn II (sorry I am treating my other fish with Tetracycline--Maracyn is best for Dropsy). Ok, continue the Maracyn II. In fact, if you can, it is even better to combine it with Maracyn I. Make sure you do the 100% daily water changes and epsom treatment.

Have you tried offering him frozen foods?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #14 
alexndra00

I tried offering him freeze-dried bloodworms but I couldn't find the daphnia that turtle10 suggested anywhere in the stores that I visited in NYC. Any other frozen food recommendation? Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #15 
DarkMoon17

Sorry, I should rephrase that, don't do salt baths. You need to treat him with salt and leave it in his tank. You can't do salt treatments for more than 10 days. Just add 1 tsp/gal epsom salt to his aquarium and do 100% daily water changes where you replace 100% of the salt each time you do a water change. Same goes for the Maracyn, make sure you replace the medicine after each water change.

84* is perfect.

You really need to get him to eat something. Have you tried frozen blood worms? Daphnia are good for constipated bettas, but frozen blood worms are bright red and great for stimulating eating. If you can get him to eat something, then you can soak his food in metro and feed him that. You can get pure metronidazole from your local Vet for cheap. Just explain the problem and they will probably be willing to sell you 1 or 2 metronidazole capsules. I've done that before.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #16 
Silverfang

you want frozen, not freeze dried!
Freeze dried is not very nutritious, and can cause bloating.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Freeze dried should basically be used as once or twice a week treats.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #18 
alexndra00

Sad, need advice

Hi guys,

I appreciate all your help and attention. Unfortunately, epsom salt, maracyn, maracyn two and everything I tried do not seem to work for Bob. He is worse than ever and I am considering euthanasia.

It's been 5 or 6 days since he got worse and now one of his sides is bigger and I noticed a rather large sore on his belly.

I am really frustrated about not being able to do anything for him, but these days have been the most painful watching him get worse and worse.

I moved him back to his big tank instead of the QT because I figured I'd let him enjoy his last days or weeks there (He is my only fish).

I am attaching a picture I took while doing his water change.

Please give me your advice about euthanasia —i read clove oil could be an option— I feel terrible even thinking about it.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #19 
alexndra00

Exclamation Please reply

I'd really appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #20 
Frodo Bagfins

Sorry about your fishy Bob. I just read a post on here all about the clove oil option, if he hasn't passed already.

Finnius has been sick too--He hasn't eaten in 3 wks and has had heavy breathing. I'm putting him on the 10 day E salt bath.
Frodo Bagfins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, bloated, sick