Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 
Monet

Bettas for Relaxation

Hello all, I'm new to this site and also to Betta keeping (until recently, I hadn't had one since childhood). I decided to get a Betta because I thought that having one in sight while I work (home office) would help to lower my stress levels (and I think it's working). And now, I'm wondering if any of you decided to keep a Betta(s) for the same reason (or maybe you've just found that it's a pleasant side effect). I've always found aquariums very relaxing, and so far I've found that sharing my work space with my new Betta to be very pleasing. I named him Monet, since he reminds me of Claude Monet's peaceful waterside impressionist paintings. (That's him in my avatar - isn't he a handsome fella? : ) Anyway, I'm now learning all I can to keep him happy and healthy. So far he seems to be doing well (although I'm far from an expert)...I figure he's enjoying stretching his fins after being cooped up in that cup they kept him in at the petstore! So what do you guys think? Does Betta keeping help keep you healthy by helping you to feel less stressed?

Last edited by Monet; 03-28-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: embarassing type-o
Monet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 
fleetfish

They sure do! I'm literally surrounded by my bettas, and I honestly don't think I could ever live without at least one in my life. I have eleven boys and seven girls and they certainly keep me busy and entertained. They're fascinating little creatures, no doubt about it :)

Welcome to the forum! And Monet is gorgeous, hope you can post more pics :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

They are definitely relaxing at times... until you get to breeding them LOL!
And if they get sick it can be very frustrating.
Still I sometimes sit in front of my fry tank and fall asleep watching them but it sure is a lot of work.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #4 
Monet

Wow, that's a lot of Bettas! I could see myself maybe getting a second Betta someday.

I'll be sure to post some more pictures in the future. My avatar isn't the highest quality photo, but I thought that it showed off his vibrant blue fins alright for a snapshot. I thought I'd let him adjust to his new home before going all out papparazi (although I do feel tempted to whip out my camera again)! lol
Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #5 
Monet

I bet! I read a basic overview of breeding just out of curiousity, and it sounds like a ton of work! I'll probably just stick to a pet or two.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #6 
Waylander

Breeding these guys does sound tough! But the rewards sound like they're worth the trouble! Anyone have their breeding documented from start to finish with photos?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

There are a few threads here that follow spawnings.
Also, on bettysplendens.com Victoria has a few articles covering this.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

Welcome! I love the look of a pretty fish tank, it really adds a lot to the look of a room. When I started with bettas, I never knew how fun and entertaining it could be to just sit there and watch a fish! I keep mine in the kitchen, but I bet they really do brighten up an office. Though I'd probably end up procrastinating by watching them instead of working.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #9 
denaliwind

Absolutely with out a doubt they give me such peace. They are my zen moment, lol. I even love cleaning out their tanks, I find it very relaxing, taking care of the little fishies, playing in the water and rearranging their decorations and then reintroducing them into their tanks and watching them swim around and investigate their surroundings. I really enjoy having them in my life, I could watch them for hours.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #10 
BettaHeart

Welcome to the forum

I heard about bettas (siamese fighting fish) when I was a little girl and always wanted one but never had the chance to own one until i moved to the city.
Alot of events happened before i was able to buy one and when i eventually had the chance i bought two, Chum and Sharkbait, blue and red vts.
Having them really made a huge difference in my stress levels and had actually caused me to look into meditation, so now when the kids are off at school and most chores are done i take afew minutes to spend with each of my 18 handsome guys and 6 gorgeous lil goddesses and many little babies. I cannot imagine not having them in my life.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote