Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #1 
phoenix91

The water change that took an hour longer than expected.

My first 100% water change didn't go off without a hitch. I got the fishy in the cup easily, cleaned all the gravel and got all the water out successfully.

I somehow managed to refill the tank with water than was almost 90 degrees . Even after i added some cold water it took over an hour for the water to cool down enough to get my poor fish back into his home. I did the full acclimatizing thing and he's now happily settled back in his tank.

I will eventually get the hang of this.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

Good job! I think the first change is the toughest. Good on you for checking the temp before you added the fish and for acclimatizing him properly. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #3 
vaygirl

That's the hardest part. You'll get used to it. You won't even need a thermometer to check tap water temp after a while, you'll just know. Good catch though. :D It does get better!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #4 
denaliwind

Haha I remember that happening to me too! It took a while to know how 78ish feels, I always wanted to go warmer. >.<; But now, I just pre-prepare the water in gallon jugs and keep it in a cabinet until I need it, it's usually the perfect temp, makes the whole process a lot easier.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #5 
phoenix91

Thanks. I've done okay on the smaller water changes but with the full change something got all mixed up and bam really hot water.

I liked doing the full change though it gave me an chance to rearrange my plants without getting my hands all wet.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #6 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliwind View Post
Haha I remember that happening to me too! It took a while to know how 78ish feels, I always wanted to go warmer. >.<; But now, I just pre-prepare the water in gallon jugs and keep it in a cabinet until I need it, it's usually the perfect temp, makes the whole process a lot easier.
i'm glad i'm no the only one this happens to. I did that for my smaller changes, i pre-prepared 3 gallon in a bucket and used it for like 2 changes but for the 100% change i thought i'd be okay just getting it as i needed it. won't do that again.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

AH! I hate that! I have 3 fish temporarily homed in 1 gallon critter keepers until I get my 10 gallon up and running. All 3 have finrot from petstore so I am religiously keeping up with daily water changes every morning.. Daily water changes are a pain sometimes! Especially if you get in a hurry (which I always am..i'm a busy lady!) I messed up once and the water was 95! I ended up dumping it out and starting over rather than waiting...I'm very impatient...
Now I have a thermometer that I place under the running water before I fill the critter keepers and dechlorinate.It helps keep the temperature just right. Works like a charm.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #8 
phoenix91

I had the time to wait tonight thankfully. my tank it up on a shelf and the wires make it hard to life it down to dump out the water. I might get a spare thermometer just to make sure this doesn't happen again, maybe one of those floating ones.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #9 
inTOXICATEDx2

I've never done a full water change before, but thanks to you, I'll be a bit more knowledgeable when the time comes.

Littlebittyfish, have you tried some aquarium salt to accelerate their recovery? It's pretty awesome that you adopted the ones with fin rot. Makes me want to help a few.
inTOXICATEDx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #10 
Luimeril

i'm odd. i add warm water, then cool water, then warm, cool, warm, cool, until i fill up the tank, and it feels just right. if it's too warm, i scoop out some and add more cold. x3 i guess you DO get the hang of things after a while! :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote