Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #1 
PitGurl

Silly things bettas flare at...

My guy Dharma is busy trying to intimidate a clump of java moss that has invaded his tank. I seem to remember reading about a betta that flared up at a box of prunes. So I was just wondering what is the strangest or funniest thing your betta has ever flared at?
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

My Betta, Sequin, flares at my finger, flares at me from across the room when I stand up, flares at filters (which is why I don't have him in a filtered tank), flares at pieces of paper, and, well, he basically flares at everything. My other males only flare at mirrors or their own reflections. Sir Lefty only flares at other fish, and will NOT flare at mirrors. It's like he knows it's him. Annabeard flares at mirrors, even though she's a girl. Hence the name Annabeard. Her real name is Annabelle, though.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #3 
denaliwind

Ahaha such a funny thread. XD
Um, a bloodworm once. A bubble on the tank... floating plants, lol. It's usually just once until they figure out it's no threat.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #4 
phoenix91

Ōji flares at the usual, the mirror and sometimes me. The other day i knitted a little fish toy, it was going to be for my cats but i liked it so i put it on Ōji's new shelf. He flares at it every time he passes it. I might give it to the cats if it starts to stress him out.
Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  36.9 KB
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #5 
MomokoCove

Dahlia who is my avatar picture when she was younger right now is absolutely convinced the book next to her tank is a threat to her territory.
MomokoCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #6 
Silverfang

My lil Scuzi goes into his ruined temple, but instead of resting or hiding he flares at the ceiling
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #7 
Waylander

Gus flares at me every time he notices me taking his picture lol
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

Akira flares at the gems resting at the bottom of his tank. He saw himself in them and spazzed out flipping this way and that trying to eliminate the threat. The norm? He tried to kill his reflection. His behavior wasn't the play flaring he did at the store to his neighbores. It was Rip.Maim.KILL behavior.

I'm so proud.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #9 
Silverfang

So I Think my Scuzi has a new tactic, he just decided to completely spaz out, I thought he was gonna get fishie whiplash from how much he was twitching about.
I noticed he was pecking where any food he "misses" would float, so I gave him just a tiny few crumbles of flake. Darned if he isn't looking like the cat who ate the canary. Stinker already knows how to manipulate momma into more food.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
So I Think my Scuzi has a new tactic, he just decided to completely spaz out, I thought he was gonna get fishie whiplash from how much he was twitching about.
I noticed he was pecking where any food he "misses" would float, so I gave him just a tiny few crumbles of flake. Darned if he isn't looking like the cat who ate the canary. Stinker already knows how to manipulate momma into more food.
Same. Akira spat out one of his pellets and then took it into his mouth then spat it back out. I noticed his mouth moving as if he was chewing. Then after it was small enough he took it into his mouth and gulped it down. I saw his gills expand as he was swallowing. It was an interesting site but I was worried he would choke or something. Seems our boys know how to manipulate us though. Akira saw me and started making little bubbles looking at me expectantly. I had to fight myself to not give him more pellets.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote