Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question IBC Betta Pals

YES!

My parents are letting me do the Betta pals program at the IBC website so I can get my first pair (only rule is I have to wait 3 months after they arrive to breed them). (I've been a member for about 2 months)

Yet... I'm confused. I don't know how to join the program. When I clicked on the betta pals link, The only thing it showed me was "If you are an active breeder and would like to donate extra stock, login to contact the Betta Pals chair"

How do I contact someone?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #2 
baylee767

Aw, when I told me parents shipping would cost about $40... theysaid I could buy some pet store Bettas instead.... )=
Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #3 
naturegirl243

aww bummer I have always wanted to see someone get fish through that program.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm sorry! Is there any way you can raise the money yourself or would they not like you to spend your money?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #5 
baylee767

They don't like me spending my money on fish things )=>

I only get $25 a month, and I usually have things I'm eager to buy (nerite snails, dwarf hairgrass, some ornaments currently, as well as a 20 gallon tank, dividers, and stuff for that....) So for now my best bet is to get local fish.

But I can't breed for atleast 3 months because in 3 months we on a 2 week trip to see my brother graduate boot camp, and so until then I don't want to rush raising and breeding fry my first time.

Maybe in the meantime I can convince them...
Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do your parents not want you to breed? I know breeding petstore fish is frowned on around here but if you got a pair from the petstore or maybe a local breeder and breed them then maybe your parents would see how serious you are about the fishkeeping hobby.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #7 
MomokoCove

Aww I'm sorry.My parents are letting me as I pay for myself mostly.
MomokoCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #8 
baylee767

My parents said it's okay if I breed, but for some reason they hate ordering stuff more than slowely buying the supplies.

I'm hoping I can gather my supplies before we visit my brother (fish included) And then when we get back raise my first spawn.

I mean, I plan on eventually working on a dragon VT line, but since I've never spawned before, I'll try to start off with a fish in more popular demand. Instead of focusing on the genetics, should I just choose a random (non VT) female that looks great, and a random (again non VT) male that looks great (And by great I mean "pretty colors" and nice fins and little to no deformities, etc) Because if I focus on genetics and look for two Bettas of the same color and tail type at a LFS, it will be very hard.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Pet store bettas are ok if you know what to look for. IMO aquabid are as bad as PS if you don't know what to look for.

My advice is; study the IBC standards and look for a pair that closely fits to them. If there are no HM females, get a super delta with sharp edges - you should come up with a few HM fry.

As for colors; read color articles and study their compatibility (eg. red to cambodian, melano to blue, etc). Then determine what color/s you want to work with.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #10 
baylee767

Yep, I've searched through the IBC standards and genetics. I was REALLY wanting to start a yellow marble HMPK line, but now I'm thinking of going with green or copper since yellow marble is very hard to find at a pet store. I also kind of want to do asymmetrical HMPKs, which I really hope to find when I get my pair...