Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #1 
TheCrysCat

Betta Bulbs?

A while back, I got these dried out little bulb things from Petco called "Betta Bulbs." Recently I put them in an old half gallon under a lamp. They haven't shown any signs of growing anything more than some weird fungus cotton stuff :P Yeah, plants definitely are not my forte. Has anyone grown these betta bulb thingies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Those things are craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappp *singsong*

Haha, they're notorious for being just awful. That cotton stuff is mold. If you can manage to remove that and keep it gone, they might grow alright.

:3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #3 
TheCrysCat

Yeah, I looked into them a little bit, and that's basically what it said. Ick D: Oh well, they weren't very expensive. I'm thinking of getting some Java Moss soon, though. I've heard that it's pretty hard to kill :P
Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #4 
LolaQuigs

I've had some that sprouted, but if they're growing mold then they're duds. Some of the brands have a guarantee, where you can mail in proof of purchase and the dead bulbs and they'll send you more. You could try that if you still have the packaging. Definitely a good idea to try and sprout them ia separate container, because it's really a crap shoot whether they'll work or not, and when they mold they can really mess up the water.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #5 
TheCrysCat

Yeah, they had a guarantee, but I lost the packaging. Tomorrow I'll throw the crap bulbs away and clean out the tank. bleh D:
Old 04-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

Bleghhh. Grosssss. Java fern isnt easy to kill, no, but there are harder ones to kill than that, hah. Java fern cant really be planted unless you leave the rhizome out, make sure you do!
If not, get anubias. I love it. I used to let it herp a derp and float around. It was fantastic.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #7 
TheCrysCat

Sounds amazing xD I'm just kinda hesitant to buy plants from my petco, because although they take fairly good care of their fish, most of their live plants are in with guppies or something similar.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

Really? Aw. I know petSMART has the tubed ones, those actually arent bad, so long as you get a truly aquatic one.

They sell plants for decently cheapish (LOL) online, check out aquabid's stuff, ebay, (when the site is back up...) bobstropicalplants.com, sweetaquatics, uhh uhhh Im forgetting a billion sites right now...crappp. I got literally 30 sprigs (though only 15-20 were healthy, happens..) of anacharis from bob's for 2 bucks. I bought a few other things too, and shipping wasnt too too bad. :3

I might (might...) be starting to give away a few sprigs of hornwort for new, hardworking members looking to plant, but Im currently using Sweeda as my guinea pig to see how shipping goes. If things go well, I can send you a few, if you'd like. No promises, but so long as shipping isnt too derp from campus, It should work out.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #9 
TheCrysCat

I'll have to look into that, thanks ^^ My mom's been kinda into online shopping lately, so she may be game for that c:
Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #10 
PewPewPew

I dont usually like shopping online, but Ive gotta say, getting plants that way is my one exception! :D