Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #1 
Diosa

tetra power filter question

Is it normal for some water to trickle out of the intake side of a power filter? There's a tiny bit of water coming out the sides of where the tube rests (the tube doesn't seem to fit just right so there's some space causing the water to come out either side of the tube) the water also tends to overflow very very slightly on each side of the top of the intake side.

Prolly confusing everyone, dunno really how to describe this. lol

Tank is 1 month into cycling btw, so new filter pretty much. This is what I have http://www.petco.com/product/107131/...on-System.aspx
Diosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #2 
Pufffreely

My best guess is that your filter media needs a rinse( after a pwc in old aquarium water). Some hang on back filters have overflow outlets allowing water to spill into the tank rather than the floor when the filter cartridge or other media gets dirty and clogged. Tetra h.o.b. Filters lack this spillway and backed up water will find the path of less resistance out of the filter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Pufffreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #3 
Diosa

Is it ok too change the filter cartridge? I'm doing a water change right now and rinsed the filter and everything the cartridge is pretty dirty. Tank is still cycling so I wasn't sure if it's ok to put a new cartridge in it. The filter also has a bio foam thing I won't ever take that out I take it it's for the good bacteria?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #4 
Pufffreely

if the filter uses a tetra bio bag filter cartrige and bio foam insert then just rinse the foam insert in pwc water and change the cartridge when it can no longer cleaned to to the point no water bypasses it. I have used these filters in the past and the dense bio bag does its job well but they clogg fairly quick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Pufffreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #5 
Thunderloon

that's the overflow, its normal when you've got heavy load on the filter

read your other thread, yeah I think its time to take that old filter cartridge out, sounds like it has an established colony on it and you don't want colonies on the filter cartridge, you want them on the bio-media.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #6 
JackisLost

Happens to my filter too because I stuff extra media in there
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #7 
Diosa

Thanks for the replies guys. Will have to go get a new cartridge because the extra one that came with my walmart tank kit doesn't actually fit the filter I've got. Even though the filter came with the kit as well.. haha.

Last edited by Diosa; 04-03-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #8 
JackisLost

Can you just buy filter media, rip out the old one (if it has plastic encasing, reuse the plastic) and rubber band new media? Will save you a ton in the long run and possibly get better media
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote