Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #1 
fleetfish

One of my girls has Dropsy .../

My worst nightmare. I've never ever had any luck whatsoever with dropsy. I was feeding the sorority this morning and six out of seven came to eat. Goldberry hung back in the corner, just looking sad. Upon further inspection she is completely bloated with scales out. I know there are methods to lessen their suffering but I have a busy day today ... which makes it so much harder to see her like this. I will be worrying about her so much. She isn't eating at all, she is simply floating around almost in a daze. She will come up for air.

Housing
What size is your tank? 15 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Appx. 25* C
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Other female bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Flake and pellet, Frozen bloodworms, glassworms, brineshrimp, daphnia, peas, NLS grow and Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime, Blackwater Extract, Indian Almond Leaf

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not lately, will test VERY soon though.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated, pineconed.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, 'dazed', not eating, antisocial. Just not herself.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning about fifteen minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Currently using quarantine setup, using IAL and a small amount of epsom. Heated to *80 with a bubbler.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? She has been under my care for 3.5 months.

Not the best pics ... but she is pineconed.

fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Oh no... D:
Shoot that she does have Dropsy. My granpa's never had luck with it, and besides quite a few guppies, he lost his beautiful Black Orchid betta to it, even when keeping up with water changes/quality.
Thankfully it's not contagious. And I wish I had something to contribute here.

What my granpa did was have the fish sit in about 1 pint of water and added two (as opposed to one you usually would use in 1 pint) drops of Betta Revive.
It's a man-made medicine, so if you'd rather go for natural stuff, feel free. Because as great as that stuff works for almost any other kind of disease, it doesn't do much for Dropsy. Doubling the dose (which is what we did for the Black Orchid) seemed to help, but in the end we were too late.
Though I state this didn't work for us, I'd like to think it lessened the suffering, since Black Orchid did become a little more active before he died. (Still wouldn't eat, though. Understandable considering the large bulge around his stomach...)

I really hope she pulls through. Dropsy is not a fun way to go... and it's even more painful to watch and have few options to help. :c

Edit: I read through your post... just every two weeks for a 15 gallon? Is it a planted tank? And being with six others, you might need to up the water changes fom now on.
We'll see how the test goes, too.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 04-03-2011 at 09:51 AM.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #3 
fleetfish

25% is a rough estimate, but it's usually more. Yeah, I gotta keep up with the changes. I'm going to see how she is in the morning ... if she's lived, I think the kindest way is the best .... poor girl.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #4 
iheartmybettas

I'm so sorry to hear that. I have lost a few girls to that and I test my water constantly and do a lot of water changes. I'm thinking it had to be from the store not taking good care. I haven't had any luck trying to treat it. My current 11 girls seem to be healthy even though they are from petsmart. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I hope she pulls through!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #5 
fleetfish

She had gotten so much worse when I got home just now . . . so I euthanized her. I hate that word
Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #6 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Aw, I'm so sorry.... But it probably would've been hopeless to save her. As much as I hate to say that.... I've never heard anyone having luck with Dropsy before. Even when researching the disease like crazy, no one really has a good cure.

One way is to feed your fish flakes/worms/etc. that have soaked in penecillin. But the hard part is getting a fish that won't eat the food.

May she rest in peace. <3
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote