Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question 55 gallon tank stocking

According to my dad if I go to public school instead of private school during high school I can setup a 55 gallon tank (public schools in hawaii SUCK but the one next to my class has a lot of things great for scholarships)

So, in awhile (probably another year lol) I'll be setting up a 55 gallon tank in my room. Here's what I was planning:

1 albino BN pleco
10-15 sorority girls
1 male SHORTFINNED betta
15-20 neon tetras (I know they're sensative I personally never let my ammonia go above .25 PPM)
and 5-8 cories albino cories OR 10-15 pygmies

I know about everything except the pleco (Erm, I read they get 6 inches and AQ advisor didn't argue with me, but do they really?) I tested on AQ advisor and it said this would work. So do you guys think this would work? (Note: Not doing for a long while, so no urgent responses please I'm the type of member who'll change my mind instantly if suggested by other members)
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #2 
beta novice

you cant put males in with females bettas and you need alot of plants for a sorrority
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #3 
doggyhog

I know that some people have had some success with housing a male in a sorority, but I don't recommend it. Girls can be MEAN and gang up on the boy. Sororities themselves are risky enough IMO.

I wouldn't add Neons either. They are so tiny and can easily be made into snacks by bettas. I'd recommend something a little bigger. The cory cats are a great idea! But I'd stay away from tetras. Maybe platies would be a better try?
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta novice View Post
you cant put males in with females bettas and you need alot of plants for a sorrority
Actually, in certain situations you can, like in very large tanks (50+ minimum) and VERY heavily planted.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #5 
baylee767

(since I can't multi quote...)

Doggyhog: Hmm, never thought of the size being an issue! Maybe platies or guppies (non fancy of course if I add a male... also, this would mean fun with population control lol yay!)

Turtle: Yes, a heavily planted tank is a happy tank I think (Probably adding a bunch of amazon swords, anubias, maybe a red tiger lotus, big piece of driftwood with java/flame moss, dwarf sagittaria carpet, some pennywort, and maybe floating anarchis... if you don't know plants, that's A LOT) So lots of cover.

My stocking plans have changed. Now:

10-15 sorority girls
trio of guppies (Hey, they'll eventually turn to probably 30 guppies LOL)
trio of platies
"trio" of ottos
MAYBE 1 male betta (not sure yet)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #6 
Neil D

My cardinal tetras (6) live in peace with my male betta, just introduce the betta(s) After the other fish. Plus guppies are hit and miss with bettas(more so than other fish), so I would be cautious. Ps: u r sooooooooooooo lucky that u can have such a huge tank! Jealous.... good luck!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #7 
beta novice

i also have a 50-55 gallon tank at home in my sisters room
again i wouldnt risk putting in a male with the females
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #8 
turtle10

Baylee what is so funny is that you and I are setting up 55 gallons at the same time! Lol I bought a "100" gallon tank and stand on craigslist for $100, only to find out it was 50. So I called these aquarium maintenance people and they found me a 55 whole sale for 120 brand new! Anyways, I am glad I ended up with 55 instead of 100, because 100 is HUGE lol. I don't have the tank yet though, probably getting it on Tuesday.

Bettanovice: as long as baylee very heavily plants and decorates the tank and keeps an eye on them I don't see a problem with just trying it out.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #9 
baylee767

It will take anything from a week to a year to get my tank as I get it for choosing a cheap high school so... Not sure when I get it lol. Luckily since everyone around here are saltwater fanatics 70% of tanks sold on craigslist are 55+ gallons (and they're usually the full set for $100-$200 =D)

I can think of my sig now:

Guys:
Rye
Neon
Unnamed

Girls:
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed
unnamed

XD
Old 04-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #10 
shinybetta

I would have the BN pleco. In that tank you could house 1 male and 3 females. Make sure to have caves for them. They may get six inches, but most don't exceed 4-5 inches. They are very cool fish. I would recommend:
1 male betta
or
8 sorority girls
8 harlequin rasboras
4 Bn plecos (1 male, 3 females) 8 pygmy cory's
3 guppies (2 females, 1 male)
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote